GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gigantic Banana Tree Removal (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148737-gigantic-banana-tree-removal.html)

[email protected] 15-08-2006 02:39 PM

Gigantic Banana Tree Removal

Hey, I just bought a new house and I'm cleaning up the yard. Currently
there is a massive banana tree on the side of the house (between my
house and the neighbor). The tree is probably 15+ years old and has
been allowed to grow uncut for a very long time. There are multiple
stalks on the tree (20+ at least 6" diameter) and the base is about 5
feet by 8 feet (yes, this is a banana tree). I have been chopping
stalks down for days now, I have just the trunk left. Question is, how
do I keep it from continuing to grow back? I don't believe I could get
the "root ball" out without tearing up my slab. Can I use roundup, or
some other chemical? People have suggested bleach or diesel - not too
hot on either of these. What about large amounts of salt?

Leon Fisk 15-08-2006 07:17 PM

Gigantic Banana Tree Removal

On 15 Aug 2006 06:39:21 -0700,
wrote:

Hey, I just bought a new house and I'm cleaning up the yard. Currently
there is a massive banana tree on the side of the house (between my
house and the neighbor). The tree is probably 15+ years old and has
been allowed to grow uncut for a very long time. There are multiple
stalks on the tree (20+ at least 6" diameter) and the base is about 5
feet by 8 feet (yes, this is a banana tree). I have been chopping
stalks down for days now, I have just the trunk left. Question is, how
do I keep it from continuing to grow back? I don't believe I could get
the "root ball" out without tearing up my slab. Can I use roundup, or
some other chemical? People have suggested bleach or diesel - not too
hot on either of these. What about large amounts of salt?

Roundup sprayed on the leaves should do the trick. Remember
that Roundup has to be sprayed on the foliage during
vigorous growth for the best results. If I was your neighbor
I would much, much rather see Roundup used than the other
suggestions :)

If you plan on mowing this area let the mower take care of
it. It may take a year or two, but it will eventually give
up.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b