Old 15-08-2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Gigantic Banana Tree Removal

Hey, I just bought a new house and I'm cleaning up the yard. Currently
there is a massive banana tree on the side of the house (between my
house and the neighbor). The tree is probably 15+ years old and has
been allowed to grow uncut for a very long time. There are multiple
stalks on the tree (20+ at least 6" diameter) and the base is about 5
feet by 8 feet (yes, this is a banana tree). I have been chopping
stalks down for days now, I have just the trunk left. Question is, how
do I keep it from continuing to grow back? I don't believe I could get
the "root ball" out without tearing up my slab. Can I use roundup, or
some other chemical? People have suggested bleach or diesel - not too
hot on either of these. What about large amounts of salt?