Old 15-08-2006, 03:25 PM posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera,rec.gardens,sci.misc,rec.animals.wildlife,alt.animals.goats

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Imperial Moth

Gordy (our goat) was sniffing the ground in the woods last week, clearly
trying to make sense out of something. When I went over to look, I found
this beautiful moth had caught his attention.

Now if I could just train him to find truffles.

js

Old 16-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered User

Smile

Elaine Beautiful moth and so BIG! He does look rather regal.

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm

wow that moth is huge i had to look twice it looks like a fall leaf its so coool.
thanks again for a great pic . cyaaa, sockiescat.
Old 16-08-2006, 07:20 PM posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera,rec.gardens,sci.misc,rec.animals.wildlife,alt.animals.goats
CB CB is offline

If you squint your eyes and look at it, it looks like dog with sunglasses
on! Wonder what that pattern really is supposed to look like, as far as
camoflauge/defense?

. ..

Old 18-08-2006, 05:41 AM posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera,rec.gardens,sci.misc,rec.animals.wildlife,alt.animals.goats

cb wrote:
If you squint your eyes and look at it, it looks like dog with sunglasses
on! Wonder what that pattern really is supposed to look like, as far as
camoflauge/defense?

I think it's supposed to look like a dog with sunglasses on to scare
away bats.

That is a riot.

js

Old 22-08-2006, 08:31 AM posted to sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera,rec.gardens,sci.misc,rec.animals.wildlife,alt.animals.goats

Jack Schmidling wrote:
Gordy (our goat) was sniffing the ground in the woods last week, clearly
trying to make sense out of something. When I went over to look, I found
this beautiful moth had caught his attention.

Nice, big specimen. I've got a female that is nearly 7" across, that
provided
my with eggs and subsequent caterpillars to rear. They get
unbelieveably
big! I don't see as many around here in W Mo., as I did 10+ years ago.

Dan Chaffee