GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/148750-fragrant-flowers-shade-semi-shade.html)

[email protected] 15-08-2006 06:16 PM

fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

Hello,

I have a lot of shade. That immediately limits my choice of what will
grow. On the other hand, having old maples is a blessing.

Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a
pleasing aroma?

(This is planning ahead for next year. Now is not planting time.)

Thank you for all suggestions.

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

simy1 15-08-2006 07:24 PM

wrote:

Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a
pleasing aroma?

Lily of the valley form a robust shade ground cover and have exquisite
fragrance in late May. But the flowers are tiny. In semi-shade, you may
get lucky with some of the asclepias. I don't know them all but some
have a wonderful smell in July.

Jo Ann 15-08-2006 07:30 PM

fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

There are quite a few fragrant hostas. Here's a starting point:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Tony/fraghosta.html

Jo Ann

FragileWarrior[_1_] 15-08-2006 08:12 PM

fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

" wrote in
ps.com:

Hello,

I have a lot of shade. That immediately limits my choice of what will
grow. On the other hand, having old maples is a blessing.

Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a
pleasing aroma?

(This is planning ahead for next year. Now is not planting time.)

Thank you for all suggestions.

Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

If you have animals in your yard, you might want to look into the mints.
I used to love it when the animals would brush against all that greenery
-- topped with purple flowers, of course -- and the various smells of
mint would linger in the air for a very long time.

And I'm not sure (someone double check me on this) but isn't Verbena
quite fragrant and shade loving?

Pat Kiewicz 16-08-2006 10:57 AM

said:

Hello,

I have a lot of shade. That immediately limits my choice of what will
grow. On the other hand, having old maples is a blessing.

Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a
pleasing aroma?

I would also recommend looking into scented hosta varieties.

My hosta 'Royal Standard' is coming into bloom and has a simply
*amazing* scent. My 'Guacamole' was planted this year and hasn't
bloomed, but it should be fragrant, too.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Cheryl Isaak[_1_] 16-08-2006 01:10 PM

fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

On 8/16/06 5:57 AM, in article ,
"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:

said:

Hello,

I have a lot of shade. That immediately limits my choice of what will
grow. On the other hand, having old maples is a blessing.

Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a
pleasing aroma?

I would also recommend looking into scented hosta varieties.

My hosta 'Royal Standard' is coming into bloom and has a simply
*amazing* scent. My 'Guacamole' was planted this year and hasn't
bloomed, but it should be fragrant, too.

I have H. "Honeybells" - a gift from a friend - and it too is fragrant.

Have you thought about some of the true germaniums - some of their leaves
are scented.

Cheryl

glenon 16-08-2006 05:18 PM

fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

Patchouli; jasmine; some orchids; allspice bush, there are some geraniums
that are scented also; that's what I can think of off the top of my head!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

[email protected] 16-08-2006 05:54 PM

fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas.

Ann 16-08-2006 11:10 PM

fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

"Jo Ann" expounded:

There are quite a few fragrant hostas. Here's a starting point:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Tony/fraghosta.html

Honeybells is blooming in my garden as I type. The fragrance is
heavenly!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts