Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-08-2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Drip irrigation for container garden

I have a multiple rooftop container garden that is right now taking me
about 90 minutes to water averaging around 150 gallons of water per day.
On days where I have to water heavily it will be 200 gallons and 2 hours
of work and light watering days it will take me about an hour and 100
gallons -- estimated. Today it rained all day so yay for me!

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but I need to seriously
consider installing an automated or semi automated drip irrigation
system next year because this watering is becoming real work and making
gardening not so fun. Now that all the plants have gotten big they use
more water and it takes much longer than in June when the plants were
small.

So I did a google search on drip irrigation for container gardens and
was kind of overwhelmed with information. Does anyone know of a good
source of material (book or web site) that will explain this to a novice
like me? My garden consists of containers from 20 gallon tubs for
tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, etc. to 8'x2'x2'(high) large planters
to lots and lots of 5 gallon buckets. I'm quite confused about what to
use for what like soaker hoses, or sprayers, or drip emitters, or drip
tape, etc. I'll probably skip timers with the initial installation and
will just turn the system on and off manually at first.

Also if anyone has experience with a good vendor that would be great
too. If anyone wants to see pics of my garden goto:

http://www.brandylion.com/gallery/Garden_2006?page=1

[IMG] code is On

drip irrigation from small container. H Hartley United Kingdom 2 25-05-2007 08:15 AM
Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
So you want to put down drip irrigation in the garden simy1 Edible Gardening 4 08-07-2004 03:02 AM
drip irrigation for lawns br Texas 1 15-04-2003 09:56 PM
AYTOK Drip Irrigation Equipments , Presents its Products... Tokmak Gardening 0 31-03-2003 01:44 PM