Old 29-08-2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Drip irrigation for container garden

I have a multiple rooftop container garden that is right now taking me
about 90 minutes to water averaging around 150 gallons of water per day.
On days where I have to water heavily it will be 200 gallons and 2 hours
of work and light watering days it will take me about an hour and 100
gallons -- estimated. Today it rained all day so yay for me!

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but I need to seriously
consider installing an automated or semi automated drip irrigation
system next year because this watering is becoming real work and making
gardening not so fun. Now that all the plants have gotten big they use
more water and it takes much longer than in June when the plants were
small.

So I did a google search on drip irrigation for container gardens and
was kind of overwhelmed with information. Does anyone know of a good
source of material (book or web site) that will explain this to a novice
like me? My garden consists of containers from 20 gallon tubs for
tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, etc. to 8'x2'x2'(high) large planters
to lots and lots of 5 gallon buckets. I'm quite confused about what to
use for what like soaker hoses, or sprayers, or drip emitters, or drip
tape, etc. I'll probably skip timers with the initial installation and
will just turn the system on and off manually at first.

Also if anyone has experience with a good vendor that would be great
too. If anyone wants to see pics of my garden goto:

http://www.brandylion.com/gallery/Garden_2006?page=1

Old 29-08-2006, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Mark Anderson wrote:

So I did a google search on drip irrigation for container gardens and
was kind of overwhelmed with information. Does anyone know of a good
source of material (book or web site) that will explain this to a novice
like me? My garden consists of containers from 20 gallon tubs for
tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, etc. to 8'x2'x2'(high) large planters
to lots and lots of 5 gallon buckets. I'm quite confused about what to
use for what like soaker hoses, or sprayers, or drip emitters, or drip
tape, etc. I'll probably skip timers with the initial installation and
will just turn the system on and off manually at first.

There was a website from Mary Tiefert, which is no longer online. I
used that and I was able to put together a good system. Her book can be
found online, so you may consider buying it.

I used the vendor she listed in her website, it was based in Oregon and
they gave me superior material and good service, however the last
fittings and connectors you may have to buy locally, simply because you
will need extra trips to the store to see that things really fit
together.

You are right that timers are not important. One problem that you will
have is that if your tape or drip line lays across the top of a 5
gallon bucket, the drop may run all the way to the edge and drip out of
the bucket. Then your expensive system will fail. One way to avoid that
is to slightly overfill the buckets, so that the emitter is in contact
with the soil. Then the drip will not run. Also, for 5 gallon buckets
you may prefer the dripline with one emitter every 18 inches, but for
thristier plants a line with one every 12 (also commonly available)
will be preferrable. I am shocked that you need that much water on a
rooftop garden. One inch for a 25X25 feet garden is about 350 gallons,
and that is a large garden, and one inch is good for a week.

Old 31-08-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have been using drip irrigation in my garden for years now and love it.
The company I use is in CA and have been very consitant and reliable with
good communication www.dripirrigation.com they have a good informative web
site and a great selection of equipment. Some locally bought products work
with their brand and some do not so I advise you to buy everything you need
at one source. You can start off small and add as you go, and is a
reasonably priced system to install. I am a 64 year old woman and no
engineer but find it a beeze to connect. Good luck.

.net...

Old 02-09-2006, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article says...
I am shocked that you need that much water on a
rooftop garden. One inch for a 25X25 feet garden is about 350 gallons,
and that is a large garden, and one inch is good for a week.

For some reason one day I realized how much time I spent/wasted each day
watering and then started adding everything up. The containers seem to
dry out quickly and each and every one of them need either a spritzer or
a complete soak each day. The tomato tubs each get a minimum of 1
gallon per day now and the cucumbers get at least 2 gallons. The 5
gallon bucket plants get about 1/3 to 1/2 gallon each per day now.
Earlier in the year it was less. My alley morning glory vines which
consist of 4 planters (about 32 cu. ft. of planter space) now take 20-25
gallons of water each day. When I fertilize I use a 2 gallon bucket
with that water soluble Miracle Grow and one day only gave them 9
buckets of blue stuff and the stupid vines wilted by the afternoon.
It's ridiculous.

This variation in watering makes designing an irrigation system for
container gardens very difficult although I do have until next Spring to
figure this out. I went to Amazon to look up Mary Tiefert's book and
she didn't seem to be listed.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article says...
I have been using drip irrigation in my garden for years now and love it.
The company I use is in CA and have been very consitant and reliable with
good communication
www.dripirrigation.com they have a good informative web
site and a great selection of equipment. Some locally bought products work
with their brand and some do not so I advise you to buy everything you need
at one source. You can start off small and add as you go, and is a
reasonably priced system to install. I am a 64 year old woman and no
engineer but find it a beeze to connect. Good luck.

Thanks for the recommendation! I did find this site via google and it
is extremely informative and they have forums where you can ask the
staff questions, which I have a lot of. It's good to know that they are
a good retailer because I was thinking of using them. Now I'm pretty
sure I will.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

simy1 wrote:
Mark Anderson wrote:

[...]

Keep in mind that containers (even large ones) are not cooled by earth
contact. Even if they were painted white or wrapped with aluminum foil -
they are gonna be very close to air temp. by afternoon - not enough
thermal mass to maintain a cool temp. That is gonna require more water.
Maybe if they were insulated somehow, or the containerer shielded from
the sun, might help a little.

Still, ANY form of semi-automated irrigation will save you some labor
and, using a timer, may save a little on water if it can be applied more
consistently or at a time which reduces loss to evaporation.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 02-09-2006, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

I use soaker hoses and hold them down with "earth staples". Ingrid

So I did a google search on drip irrigation for container gardens and
was kind of overwhelmed with information. Does anyone know of a good
source of material (book or web site) that will explain this to a novice
like me? My garden consists of containers from 20 gallon tubs for
tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, etc. to 8'x2'x2'(high) large planters
to lots and lots of 5 gallon buckets. I'm quite confused about what to
use for what like soaker hoses, or sprayers, or drip emitters, or drip
tape, etc. I'll probably skip timers with the initial installation and
will just turn the system on and off manually at first.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 13-09-2006, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi Mark,

I use to buy my irrigation accesories on this website:

http://www.plasgotirrigation.com

Mark Anderson ha escrito:

Old 17-09-2006, 10:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"lawnmower_man80" wrote
I have a multiple rooftop container garden that is right now taking me
about 90 minutes to water averaging around 150 gallons of water per day.

snipped

Hi
I too have a roofgarden, but nowhere near as big as yours so I don't have an
automatic system :~)
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm

Leaky pipe is OK but will 'leak' all along their length.

I am in Europe so don't know what's available in the US. There are some
links on my site about watering, but I'd guess that standing your pots in
drip trays would maybe mean you'd only need to water maybe every three days?

Depends of course where you are and how hot it is.

Jenny (Holland)

[IMG] code is On

drip irrigation from small container. H Hartley United Kingdom 2 25-05-2007 08:15 AM
Source for Raindrip Drip-A-long drip hose? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-04-2007 05:59 PM
So you want to put down drip irrigation in the garden simy1 Edible Gardening 4 08-07-2004 03:02 AM
drip irrigation for lawns br Texas 1 15-04-2003 09:56 PM
AYTOK Drip Irrigation Equipments , Presents its Products... Tokmak Gardening 0 31-03-2003 01:44 PM