Old 05-09-2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default NWF Certification. . .grr. . . .

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 10:05:13 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Sparky Organic" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ther eis only one legitimate definition of Master Gardener. You're
sounding very trollish, and I don't feel you are asking a serious
question, so I'm not going to play this game.

Trollish? I'm asking you valid questions. You say you are a master
gardener.
I know that some organization bestows that title. NGA, maybe? It doesn't
matter, though. I want to know why you sought to have the title. My
question
is directly related to your original post.

It's a certification granted by the state agricultural extension service
after the gardener completes some course work and community service (and
pays a fee, of course.) I'm pretty sure it varies from state to state.
A Master Gardener is recognized by the state as being qualified to
give gardening advice (answering calls referred from the county agent's
office, etc.)

Best regards,
Bob

It qualifies you to answer the phones and with mountains of books and
periodicals by your side, you answer questions. Most of the time you
get incorrect recommendations.

This brings us right back to the OP's comments. Why did he want the Master
Gardener certification and secret decoder ring? Probably for the same reason
someone would pay what is essentially the normal NWF membership fee, and get
a certificate in return.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 19:41:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

This brings us right back to the OP's comments. Why did he want the Master
Gardener certification and secret decoder ring? Probably for the same reason
someone would pay what is essentially the normal NWF membership fee, and get
a certificate in return.

The difference is that, with the NWF or WWF (World Wildlife
Foundation) you are providing food, water and a place to have broods,
lay reptile eggs, have brush piles for shelter, and in the case of the
Texas certification you must have a minimum of 50% native species.

The master gardeners are nothing like NWF or WWF certicfation.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

This brings us right back to the OP's comments. Why did he want the Master
Gardener certification and secret decoder ring? Probably for the same
reason
someone would pay what is essentially the normal NWF membership fee, and
get
a certificate in return.

The difference is that, with the NWF or WWF (World Wildlife
Foundation) you are providing food, water and a place to have broods,
lay reptile eggs, have brush piles for shelter, and in the case of the
Texas certification you must have a minimum of 50% native species.

The master gardeners are nothing like NWF or WWF certicfation.

I agree that those backyard goals are a good thing. But, I take sort of a
Buddhist attitude toward the certificate and the lawn sign. It's showing
off.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 20:50:59 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I agree that those backyard goals are a good thing. But, I take sort of a
Buddhist attitude toward the certificate and the lawn sign. It's showing
off.

I also take a Buddhist approach and it makes people ask what that is
and it suddenly turns another backyard into a habitat. It's aa
consciousness raising purpose. I certainly don't need to show off,
nor do I ever do that.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

I'm confused as to why you want to know why I wanted to become a master
gardener. Are you studying me? Are my motivations that fascinating?

But for your information, the reason I took the course was to learn
things. You know, education? The classes were intense and the test
was very difficult, and many people I took the class with didn't pass
the test. I now know a lot more than I knew before.

I am also done with this thread. I posted a legitimate message and all
I've gotten are inane comments. I have no idea what you're up to, but
it sure isn't honest communication.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sparky Organic" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm confused as to why you want to know why I wanted to become a master
gardener. Are you studying me? Are my motivations that fascinating?

But for your information, the reason I took the course was to learn
things. You know, education? The classes were intense and the test
was very difficult, and many people I took the class with didn't pass
the test. I now know a lot more than I knew before.

I am also done with this thread. I posted a legitimate message and all
I've gotten are inane comments. I have no idea what you're up to, but
it sure isn't honest communication.

No. You commented on someone's desire to have a piece of paper saying their
yard was special. I commented on the desire to have a piece of paper saying
YOU were special.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5 Sep 2006 14:19:05 -0700, "Sparky Organic"
wrote:

I'm confused as to why you want to know why I wanted to become a master
gardener. Are you studying me? Are my motivations that fascinating?

But for your information, the reason I took the course was to learn
things. You know, education? The classes were intense and the test
was very difficult, and many people I took the class with didn't pass
the test. I now know a lot more than I knew before.

I am also done with this thread. I posted a legitimate message and all
I've gotten are inane comments. I have no idea what you're up to, but
it sure isn't honest communication.

Hey Sparky,

You're the person who vehemently put down the efforts of a wildlife
habitat certification. Dish it, but take it.