Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-09-2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
CB CB is offline

Default help with a lawn question

I'm in central Virginia, zone 7. I'm kind of new at the lawn thing. I planted my first lawn too late this past Spring, and it came in full and lush, but then got invaded by weeds and crabgrass, as I failed to put down preemergent. By now, half the lawn has turned into crabgrass and weeds. There is some grass, however, and I really don't want to retill and sew a new lawn. I'd really like to get rid of the crabgrass and overseed with fescue, but the crabgrass is still green and looks like it's reseeding itself. How should I approach this lawn if I don't want to retill the soil and resew a totally new lawn. I know fall is the prime time to plant grass and I was hoping I could overseed. Will I have to wipe out the crabgrass (which is pretty thick) by using a weedkiller? Is there still time to kill it, seed/overseed and hope for growth? I'd like to do all the proper fertilizing for new grass roots, so it would get nutrients during the winter and come back in the sping. Next spring..if I have grass.I will definitely put down the preemergent!