Old 05-10-2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ASAIN PEARS self-fruitfull?

I planted one asian pear tree on my backyard. Its variety
is unknown, but definitely not 20-century because I have a 20-century
pear planted last year , the leaf physically looks slightly different
than the one in question.

My questions a

1. without knowing its variety, is asian pear in general
self-fruitfull?
2. Is/are there any ways to figure out its real variety? I asked the
nursery where I bought it originally, they appeared to give me
conflicting answers.

Thanks in advance,

Old 06-10-2006, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

In general, not self-fruitful. Best way to determine variety will
be from the fruit, beware there are lots of varieties to which you
will have to compare! Size shape ,russeting, color, and texture of
fruit will all be good indicators. Leaves are not.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

ups.com...

Old 06-10-2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Elizabeth wrote:
In general, not self-fruitful. Best way to determine variety will
be from the fruit, beware there are lots of varieties to which you
will have to compare! Size shape ,russeting, color, and texture of
fruit will all be good indicators. Leaves are not.

Hi Elizabeth,

The unknow variety mentioned finally nailed down to three's (based on
what available at my local nursery at the time of purchased. These a
HOSUI, SHINKO, SHINSEKI.

Does any of the three varieties above cross-pollinated with my
existing 20-century pear tree?

Thanks,

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

ups.com...

Old 06-10-2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
I planted one asian pear tree on my backyard. Its variety
is unknown, but definitely not 20-century because I have a
20-century
pear planted last year , the leaf physically looks slightly
different
than the one in question.

My questions a

1. without knowing its variety, is asian pear in general
self-fruitfull?
2. Is/are there any ways to figure out its real variety? I
asked
the
nursery where I bought it originally, they appeared to give
me
conflicting answers.

Thanks in advance,

wrote in message
ups.com...

Elizabeth wrote:
In general, not self-fruitful. Best way to determine variety
will
be from the fruit, beware there are lots of varieties to which
you
will have to compare! Size shape ,russeting, color, and texture
of
fruit will all be good indicators. Leaves are not.

Hi Elizabeth,

The unknow variety mentioned finally nailed down to three's
(based on
what available at my local nursery at the time of purchased.
These a
HOSUI, SHINKO, SHINSEKI.

Does any of the three varieties above cross-pollinated with my
existing 20-century pear tree?

Thanks,

Shinseiki is known to cross well with 20th century (aka
Nijisseiki). Both are yellow-skinned, white fleshed pears of good
to excellent quality. Hosui and Shinko are a good pair that will
cross with each other and have bronze, russeted skin.
If both of your pears bloom at the same time, chances are
excellent that they will cross pollinate regardless of variety.
The three you mentioned should have bloom times that overlap 20th
Century, which is a late-season bloomer.
--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

[IMG] code is On

Lemons - self fertile or self fertilising David WE Roberts[_2_] United Kingdom 1 05-03-2010 04:44 PM
Pears - Pears.jpg (0/1) Steve Newport Edible Gardening 1 26-06-2006 06:23 AM
ripening pears mark United Kingdom 3 24-09-2003 09:22 PM
Do Woodpeckers Systematically Destroy Bradford Pears? Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 14 31-03-2003 12:20 AM
Ripening schedule for pears? krm United Kingdom 1 01-02-2003 10:22 AM