GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bees- the wood boring type (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/15098-bees-wood-boring-type.html)

Mceezee 15-04-2003 10:44 PM

Bees- the wood boring type

Today was the first warm day we have have had (at least for a while). All of
the sudden bees (the ones that bore holes in my deck) appeared.

How can I stop these bees from being around my deck and making holes in the
wood. We use our deck a lot in the summer so I want these bees gone :)

jammer 15-04-2003 10:56 PM

Bees- the wood boring type

On 15 Apr 2003 21:32:28 GMT, (Mceezee) wrote:

Today was the first warm day we have have had (at least for a while). All of
the sudden bees (the ones that bore holes in my deck) appeared.

How can I stop these bees from being around my deck and making holes in the
wood. We use our deck a lot in the summer so I want these bees gone :)

They are said not to like mint...

Lar 15-04-2003 10:56 PM

Bees- the wood boring type

In article 20030415173228.00320.00000743@mb-
fs.aol.com, says...
:) How can I stop these bees from being around my deck and making holes in the
:) wood. We use our deck a lot in the summer so I want these bees gone :)
:)
:)
Paint the exposed surfaces with oil base or
polyurethane.
--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Phisherman 15-04-2003 11:20 PM

Bees- the wood boring type

On 15 Apr 2003 21:32:28 GMT, (Mceezee) wrote:

Today was the first warm day we have have had (at least for a while). All of
the sudden bees (the ones that bore holes in my deck) appeared.

How can I stop these bees from being around my deck and making holes in the
wood. We use our deck a lot in the summer so I want these bees gone :)

I just swatted one not too long ago. He was trying to select a wooden
resting place in my garage. When they bore into my deck I shoot
insecticide into the hole then plug it up. They can be annoying and
destructive, but I don't think they sting.

Mceezee 15-04-2003 11:32 PM

Bees- the wood boring type

just swatted one not too long ago. He was trying to select a wooden
resting place in my garage. When they bore into my deck I shoot
insecticide into the hole then plug it up.

What do you use to plug the hole in the wood? I thought about wood glue, but I
can't think of anything else to use.

Phisherman 16-04-2003 12:08 AM

Bees- the wood boring type

On 15 Apr 2003 22:24:03 GMT, (Mceezee) wrote:

just swatted one not too long ago. He was trying to select a wooden
resting place in my garage. When they bore into my deck I shoot
insecticide into the hole then plug it up.

What do you use to plug the hole in the wood? I thought about wood glue, but I
can't think of anything else to use.

I use either a wooden dowel or a stick, doesn't matter just find one
that fits. The bee hole is usually very round, almost perfectly
round. Put some wood glue on the stick, and a little around the
inside the hole, and tap in the stick. The next day, flush-cut off
the stick (a plain hacksaw blade works well) and sand smooth. If the
bee is not inside the hole, he might return and hover around where the
hole was.

Collie 16-04-2003 12:20 AM

Bees- the wood boring type

Phisherman wrote:

On 15 Apr 2003 21:32:28 GMT, (Mceezee) wrote:

Today was the first warm day we have have had (at least for a while). All of
the sudden bees (the ones that bore holes in my deck) appeared.

How can I stop these bees from being around my deck and making holes in the
wood. We use our deck a lot in the summer so I want these bees gone :)

I just swatted one not too long ago. He was trying to select a wooden
resting place in my garage. When they bore into my deck I shoot
insecticide into the hole then plug it up. They can be annoying and
destructive, but I don't think they sting.

They don't sting, and they're very slow. When we had them on our dock,
we swatted at them with a shoe daily over a period of a couple of weeks
(after checking with our extension agent to find out what they were and
that they didn't sting)and killed them off quite nicely.

DavesVideo 16-04-2003 02:44 AM

Bees- the wood boring type

(Mceezee) wrote:

Today was the first warm day we have have had (at least for a while). All of

the sudden bees (the ones that bore holes in my deck) appeared.

You need some woodpeckers to eat the bees. They constantly try to make holes in
our cedar house. The bee makes a small round hole in the wood, then along comes
a woodpecker who rips a gigantic hole to get at the bee. Maybe you don't want
the woodpeckers. :-)

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Purchgdss 16-04-2003 02:56 AM

Bees- the wood boring type

What do you use to plug the hole in the wood? I thought about wood glue, but
can't think of anything else to use.

We used Caulk and steel wool... then painted over the wood.... course, I left
the giant dog house untreated for them and they are very happy there.

Just my 2 cents.........
Christine