GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Crawfish hills (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/15121-crawfish-hills.html)

animal333 16-04-2003 02:20 AM

Crawfish hills

Has anyone ever had the problem of having crawfish "hills" in their
yard? I keep destroying them and they keep coming up. Is there a way
of getting rid of the crawfish permanently?

Thanx

Phisherman 16-04-2003 03:08 AM

Crawfish hills

On 15 Apr 2003 18:11:14 -0700, (animal333) wrote:

Has anyone ever had the problem of having crawfish "hills" in their
yard? I keep destroying them and they keep coming up. Is there a way
of getting rid of the crawfish permanently?

Thanx

We got them. It is part of the lawn maintenance to fill the crawfish
holes. The crows and eagles like to hunt them down for snacks.
Encourage birds to the area.

zhanataya 16-04-2003 05:08 AM

Crawfish hills

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:04:18 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On 15 Apr 2003 18:11:14 -0700, (animal333) wrote:

Has anyone ever had the problem of having crawfish "hills" in their
yard? I keep destroying them and they keep coming up. Is there a way
of getting rid of the crawfish permanently?

Thanx

We got them. It is part of the lawn maintenance to fill the crawfish
holes. The crows and eagles like to hunt them down for snacks.
Encourage birds to the area.

Never mind the crows and eagles. Encourage me. I love a crawfish
boil.

zhan

bryan lafleur 16-04-2003 01:32 PM

Crawfish hills

Never mind the crows and eagles. Encourage me. I love a crawfish
boil.

Amen, where I'm from the locals watched them more than the birds.

The hills are usually an indication of poor drainage.

Bryan

John McGaw 16-04-2003 08:32 PM

Crawfish hills

"animal333" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone ever had the problem of having crawfish "hills" in their
yard? I keep destroying them and they keep coming up. Is there a way
of getting rid of the crawfish permanently?

Thanx

Boiled lightly until the color changes and then served with tarragon
butter...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Dewitt 16-04-2003 08:44 PM

Crawfish hills

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:20:53 -0400, "John McGaw"
wrote:

Has anyone ever had the problem of having crawfish "hills" in their
yard? I keep destroying them and they keep coming up. Is there a way
of getting rid of the crawfish permanently?

Thanx

Boiled lightly until the color changes and then served with tarragon
butter...

Cooking them is the easy part. The hard part is getting them out of
their holes.

The best way to get rid of them is to improve the drainage in your
yard. They only live in areas that are periodically swampy.

deg

J Kolenovsky 17-04-2003 05:08 AM

Crawfish hills

Why are you eliminating something's food source?

animal333 wrote:
=

Has anyone ever had the problem of having crawfish "hills" in their
yard? I keep destroying them and they keep coming up. Is there a way
of getting rid of the crawfish permanently?
=

Thanx

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html

zhanataya 18-04-2003 05:44 PM

Crawfish hills

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:29:09 GMT, Dewitt
wrote:

Cooking them is the easy part. The hard part is getting them out of
their holes.

The best way to get rid of them is to improve the drainage in your
yard. They only live in areas that are periodically swampy.

deg

My brother lives in Louisiana, he swears playing an accordion will
bring them out, usually they'll be dragging a fiddle.

zhan

Dewitt 18-04-2003 06:08 PM

Crawfish hills

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:39:00 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

Cooking them is the easy part. The hard part is getting them out of
their holes.

The best way to get rid of them is to improve the drainage in your
yard. They only live in areas that are periodically swampy.

deg

My brother lives in Louisiana, he swears playing an accordion will
bring them out, usually they'll be dragging a fiddle.

zhan

He must be thinking of fiddler crabs. . . Bagpipes work better on
crawdads. :-)
deg