GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   WEED ID ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/152121-weed-id.html)

EMM 07-01-2007 12:00 PM

WEED ID ?

I am not having any luck at identifying this weed, can anyone help?

I live in North Carolina-This weed seems to always pop up in my natural
areas.
Right now we are having a warm spell and my garden is overtaken with
it.
roots are fibrous, no leaf hairs,leaf edges are smooth and fairly
small,it crawls along and likes to wrap itself around other plants.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eileenmahr/Weed

Stewart Robert Hinsley 07-01-2007 02:57 PM

WEED ID ?

In message .com, EMM
writes
I am not having any luck at identifying this weed, can anyone help?

I live in North Carolina-This weed seems to always pop up in my natural
areas.
Right now we are having a warm spell and my garden is overtaken with
it.
roots are fibrous, no leaf hairs,leaf edges are smooth and fairly
small,it crawls along and likes to wrap itself around other plants.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eileenmahr/Weed

Looks like a vetch (Vicia) of some description.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Karen Fletcher 07-01-2007 05:09 PM

WEED ID ?

EMM wrote:
I am not having any luck at identifying this weed, can anyone help?

I live in North Carolina-This weed seems to always pop up in my natural
areas.
Right now we are having a warm spell and my garden is overtaken with
it.
roots are fibrous, no leaf hairs,leaf edges are smooth and fairly
small,it crawls along and likes to wrap itself around other plants.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eileenmahr/Weed

Looks like Hairy Vetch, Vicia villosa.

http://images.google.com/images?q=hairy%20vetch

-- Karen

Jangchub 07-01-2007 05:43 PM

WEED ID ?

Does it flower? Does it leave a pod after it flowers? It doesn't
look like hairy vetch to me at all.

Travis M. 07-01-2007 06:10 PM

WEED ID ?

"EMM" wrote in message
oups.com
I am not having any luck at identifying this weed, can anyone help?

I live in North Carolina-This weed seems to always pop up in my
natural areas.
Right now we are having a warm spell and my garden is overtaken with
it.
roots are fibrous, no leaf hairs,leaf edges are smooth and fairly
small,it crawls along and likes to wrap itself around other plants.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eileenmahr/Weed

Looks like Vetch to me.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

EMM 07-01-2007 11:47 PM

WEED ID ?

Yes!! ThankYou,

I googled Hairy Vetch and Vicia villosa and I does look the same.
I can not remember if it ever flowers, but I will keep my eye on it.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP it was driving me crazy, not being able to
find it's identity !

Jangchub 08-01-2007 12:51 PM

WEED ID ?

On 7 Jan 2007 15:47:36 -0800, "EMM" wrote:

Yes!! ThankYou,

I googled Hairy Vetch and Vicia villosa and I does look the same.
I can not remember if it ever flowers, but I will keep my eye on it.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP it was driving me crazy, not being able to
find it's identity !

If it IS vetch, it is very beneficial to the soil as it is a legume.
I never pull the vetch when weeding.