Old 07-01-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
EMM EMM is offline

Default WEED ID ?

I am not having any luck at identifying this weed, can anyone help?

I live in North Carolina-This weed seems to always pop up in my natural
areas.
Right now we are having a warm spell and my garden is overtaken with
it.
roots are fibrous, no leaf hairs,leaf edges are smooth and fairly
small,it crawls along and likes to wrap itself around other plants.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eileenmahr/Weed

Old 07-01-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message .com, EMM
writes
I am not having any luck at identifying this weed, can anyone help?

I live in North Carolina-This weed seems to always pop up in my natural
areas.
Right now we are having a warm spell and my garden is overtaken with
it.
roots are fibrous, no leaf hairs,leaf edges are smooth and fairly
small,it crawls along and likes to wrap itself around other plants.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eileenmahr/Weed

Looks like a vetch (Vicia) of some description.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-01-2007, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

EMM wrote:
I am not having any luck at identifying this weed, can anyone help?

I live in North Carolina-This weed seems to always pop up in my natural
areas.
Right now we are having a warm spell and my garden is overtaken with
it.
roots are fibrous, no leaf hairs,leaf edges are smooth and fairly
small,it crawls along and likes to wrap itself around other plants.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eileenmahr/Weed

Looks like Hairy Vetch, Vicia villosa.

http://images.google.com/images?q=hairy%20vetch

-- Karen

Old 07-01-2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EMM" wrote in message
oups.com
I am not having any luck at identifying this weed, can anyone help?

I live in North Carolina-This weed seems to always pop up in my
natural areas.
Right now we are having a warm spell and my garden is overtaken with
it.
roots are fibrous, no leaf hairs,leaf edges are smooth and fairly
small,it crawls along and likes to wrap itself around other plants.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE.

http://picasaweb.google.com/eileenmahr/Weed

Looks like Vetch to me.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
EMM EMM is offline

Yes!! ThankYou,

I googled Hairy Vetch and Vicia villosa and I does look the same.
I can not remember if it ever flowers, but I will keep my eye on it.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP it was driving me crazy, not being able to
find it's identity !

Old 08-01-2007, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7 Jan 2007 15:47:36 -0800, "EMM" wrote:

Yes!! ThankYou,

I googled Hairy Vetch and Vicia villosa and I does look the same.
I can not remember if it ever flowers, but I will keep my eye on it.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP it was driving me crazy, not being able to
find it's identity !

If it IS vetch, it is very beneficial to the soil as it is a legume.
I never pull the vetch when weeding.