Old 08-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Registered User

Question Deadheading Geraniums-Which is the correct technique?

Hi all,

My husband and I had an amicable discussion yesterday concerning the proper method for deadheading geraniums (common type one purchases at any grocery or hardware store). He contends that the most appropriate method is to pull the entire flower stem (peduncle), including its "attachment point." In essence, pull off the entire stem from the main plant so there is no evidence of the old flower stem. I, on the other hand, was snipping off all of the flower's stem except for 1/4 inch, with only a small "stub" remaining on the main plant. Also, he said pulling off all of the previous stem was the only method that would allow a new flower to grow. I contended that my method did not prevent that either.

Ok, I'm not saying his method is wrong. He only stated that my method was." I did tell him I'd be somewhat concerned that his method would leave the main plant more suseptible to disease/infection due to the fact that a "wound" is left on the main plant stem, or by possibly pulling off more than the flower stem, but again, I didn't insist he was wrong, and told him there is often more than one way to skin a cat (sorry animal lovers...I wouldn't actually skin a cat!)

So my question is this. Is either method described above incorrect? If both are correct methods, is either on more appropriate than the other? In essence, should one remove ALL of the stem by pulling it off the main plant, or leave 1/4 inch or more? Finally, will leaving 1/4 inch of the old flower stem prevent new flower growth as my husband contends?

Thanks.
__________________
Cathy is a member of the horticultural Society of Strasbourg.
She has benefited from participation in many garden related courses and talks.
ANYONE, from Beginner to Advanced, can Create and Care For Beautiful Bonsai Trees!"
With this detailed bonsai care guide...you can now!
http://jsala.cbpower.hop.clickbank.net/

[IMG] code is On

Deadheading Clematis mfs1011 United Kingdom 2 04-07-2003 08:52 AM
Deadheading roses? Tono Gardening 4 30-06-2003 06:56 PM
Deadheading Mutabilis! Shiva Roses 7 28-06-2003 12:56 AM
deadheading news.verizon.net Gardening 10 19-05-2003 08:56 PM
Deadheading heliotrope Adam Schwartz Gardening 1 06-05-2003 11:44 PM