Old 12-02-2007, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dealing with dirt

Hello,
This may sound nuts, but I have a problem with excess dirt.
..
I am going to put soakaway drains in my yard to handle some poor drainage
conditions. I have a generally flat yard. The lot is about 3/4 acres.
It's a typical builders lot with about 4 inches of loam over sandy, clay,
rocky hardpan soil. Basically, its crap. I am going to be digging out a
couple of long trenches 2' wide x 2' deep, filling it with stone, etc
..
The problem...what do I do with all the lousy soil that gets dug out?
Sounds like a crazy question, but I have no place to put it. I guess i need
some ideas on what can be done.
..
Thank you for your time.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

.
I am going to put soakaway drains in my yard to handle some poor drainage
conditions. I have a generally flat yard. The lot is about 3/4 acres.
It's a typical builders lot with about 4 inches of loam over sandy, clay,
rocky hardpan soil. Basically, its crap. I am going to be digging out a
couple of long trenches 2' wide x 2' deep, filling it with stone, etc
.
The problem...what do I do with all the lousy soil that gets dug out?
Sounds like a crazy question, but I have no place to put it. I guess i
need some ideas on what can be done.
.
Thank you for your time.

Put it in a place where you'd like to have flower beds in the
not-too-distant future. Add organic matter and make it into better soil.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Yes, flower bed, or put it in Craiglist as free crap dirt for folks to come
pick it up themselves if they need this type of dirt to fill in low areas in
their own property, etc.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 20:22:26 -0500, Jack wrote:
The problem...what do I do with all the lousy soil that gets dug out?
Sounds like a crazy question, but I have no place to put it. I guess i need
some ideas on what can be done.

Have 'em bring you a couple trucks of compost at the same time you're
hauling in fill rock for the drains. Decide where you'd like some
raised beds, mix the compost with the builder's soil, and make some raised
beds... they'll grow wonderful flowers and veggies for you with much less
work than trying to grow on hardpan.

And mow with a mulching mower... those of us with clay need all the soil
organic matter we can get to add!

Kay

.
Thank you for your time.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Spread it out and rake it into the rest of the soil or pick a spot and start
building a flower bed with the extra.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info