Old 19-02-2003, 09:27 PM
mgbgt

Default Rototiller question?

I'm looking into purchasing a new rear tine tiller this spring and would
like to get some recommendation as well as pro's & con's of some of the more
popular brands seen for sale such as Troy Bilt, MTD, Sears Craftsman,
Yardman. My garden is fairly large (about 50' X 150') and would like to
retire my antique front tine tiller not to mention save my arms & back from
the extreme workout.

Thanks,
Don

Old 20-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Bob Provencher

I have a Honda FR800 that I am real happy with. It's forward rotating and
has gotten a way from me once or twice due to setting the tines too low and
hitting some flat rocks in the soil.

On regular soil it tills it up very nice, and I have tilled through sod with
it without a problem.

When I was looking into buying it, I was thinking of the Troy Bilt but heard
they were bought by MTD and I've had trouble with other MTD equipment.

Old 20-02-2003, 02:39 PM
Al

"mgbgt" wrote in message ...
I'm looking into purchasing a new rear tine tiller this spring and would
like to get some recommendation as well as pro's & con's of some of the more
popular brands seen for sale such as Troy Bilt, MTD, Sears Craftsman,
Yardman. My garden is fairly large (about 50' X 150') and would like to
retire my antique front tine tiller not to mention save my arms & back from
the extreme workout.

Thanks,
Don

Good explanations here of diff between forward/counter rotating tines
tillers.
If you choose one or the other, I would go with counter rotating, rear
tined tiller for excellent ground breaking capabilities. If the garden
is already well established, then forward rotating tines seems
preferable because it will power compost much better. I have a Sears
craftsman 5hp rear counter rotating tine tiller that I am very happy
with, but wish I had bought the 8hp.
Old 21-02-2003, 02:15 PM
jcart003

(Al) wrote in message . com...
"mgbgt" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have a BCS, it is 15 years old and runs great, never a minutes
trouble. It has gotten an incredible work out, my "garden is 2+
acres... a truck patch. I bought it for a couple of reasons.... the
dealer sold several brands, including troy built.... be careful of
TB's warranty it is pretty much BS. The BCS is a better machine and
didn't cost any more. They had started using kohler engines so the
acess to service was fine. BUT perhaps most important was it has a
real transmission, not belts... no matter what they say the benefits
of belts they are not as good in the long run as the real trany. also
look at the speeds, the top speed for TB was 2 mph, BCS was 7. That
isn't important for tilling, there is no way to till at 7mph!! but
unless your garden is right by where you will store the tiller you
will waste a lot of time CRAWLING back and forth!

[IMG] code is On

Rototiller Question Doug Kanter Gardening 19 24-09-2004 08:58 PM
WTB: RotoTiller John T. Jarrett Texas 0 05-09-2004 02:42 AM
rototiller Derek Ball Roses 0 03-07-2004 06:02 AM
Need Users Manual for Statesman Rototiller Darlene Gardening 0 31-03-2004 04:03 AM
root brand rototiller Dwight Trumbower Gardening 2 21-05-2003 12:32 AM