Old 19-02-2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
hjd hjd is offline

Default Dried avocado plant rescue

I'm hoping someone can give me advise on the following
We have two 2-3 ft avocado plants, each in there own large pot. I
accidently let one get too dry. The leaves are all very dry (the
crumble), but the stems are still soft and green. When I discovered
it, I added water to the pot.
Now, with no viable leaves, can I bring this plant back? If so, should
I remove the dead leaves? Is there some kind of plant food that would
promote new leaves forming. The plants were grown from seed by my
wife, who is away for a month, and will return in two weeks. She will
be very ****ed.
Help!

hjd

Old 19-02-2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 19 Feb 2007 08:31:45 -0800, "hjd" wrote:

I'm hoping someone can give me advise on the following
We have two 2-3 ft avocado plants, each in there own large pot. I
accidently let one get too dry. The leaves are all very dry (the
crumble), but the stems are still soft and green. When I discovered
it, I added water to the pot.
Now, with no viable leaves, can I bring this plant back? If so, should
I remove the dead leaves? Is there some kind of plant food that would
promote new leaves forming. The plants were grown from seed by my
wife, who is away for a month, and will return in two weeks. She will
be very ****ed.
Help!

hjd

If the stems are not brittle, there is still hope. Whether you pull
off the leaves or not matters little or not at all (they will fall off
on their own eventually). There's nothing you can add to it to help
the situation. Just don't let it dry out so much again (but don't
leave it standing in water, either) and cross your fingers.

Old 19-02-2007, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:38:55 -0600, Treedweller
wrote:

[...]

And don't give up too soon. At an orchard near where I worked, after
a cold spell, the trees stayed without leaves for over a year but all
came back and continued to produce.

Good luck with the wife, that can be a real problem.

Old 19-02-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 19 Feb 2007 08:31:45 -0800, hjd wrote:
Now, with no viable leaves, can I bring this plant back? If so, should
I remove the dead leaves? Is there some kind of plant food that would

Don't pull off the leaves -- the plant is probably recovering nutrients
from them for several weeks to months. At least give them the time till
she gets back.

Other than that, keep the soil moist but not soggy and don't let the
root ball sit in water. There are no magic plant foods to suddenly
cause leaf primordia to fully develop immediately, but they'll do
it on their own time.

Tincture of Time is a very necessary element in gardening, indoors
and out.

promote new leaves forming. The plants were grown from seed by my
wife, who is away for a month, and will return in two weeks. She will
be very ****ed.

Ah well, see if you can find a couple of mangoes that haven't been
chilled too badly, and sprout their seeds. They've got really
decorative leaves, and they should be on their way by the time she
gets home.

Help!

hjd

[IMG] code is On

Help with plant rescue mission & upside down tomato planters please Learner-Grower United Kingdom 4 11-07-2009 01:04 PM
Avocado Plant David DeMar Gardening 6 03-06-2008 11:26 PM
Dried up bamboo plant (outside)UK Tone United Kingdom 5 03-05-2004 10:05 AM
Avocado Plant David DeMar Plant Biology 9 23-04-2003 02:33 PM
Avocado Plant problems Jeff Walther Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM