GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Small leaves on coleus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/154332-small-leaves-coleus.html)

[email protected] 21-02-2007 04:22 AM

Small leaves on coleus

I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Phisherman[_1_] 21-02-2007 11:02 AM

Small leaves on coleus

On 20 Feb 2007 20:22:12 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Coleus are very sensitive to environments. They will grow larger
leaves with more light and warmth.

Jangchub 21-02-2007 01:25 PM

Small leaves on coleus

On 20 Feb 2007 20:22:12 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

It sounds like a variety called 'Molten Lava.' Look he

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/66603/

JoeSpareBedroom 21-02-2007 02:05 PM

Small leaves on coleus

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Some coleus varieties just have smaller leaves, just as some have ruffled
edges on their leaves. Have you had this plant long enough to see what its
typical habits are?

JohnS 22-02-2007 12:55 AM

Small leaves on coleus

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

JoeSpareBedroom 22-02-2007 02:38 AM

Small leaves on coleus

"JohnS" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

JohnS 22-02-2007 10:42 PM

Small leaves on coleus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

So a Florest told me years ago. Yes.

JoeSpareBedroom 23-02-2007 12:52 AM

Small leaves on coleus

"JohnS" wrote in message ...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

So a Florest told me years ago. Yes.

As it turns out, that's wrong, according to 3 books at my local library. All
3 recommended feeding every 3 months with normal houseplant fertilizer,
diluted to half strength.

Phisherman[_1_] 23-02-2007 01:31 AM

Small leaves on coleus

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:42:23 -0600, "JohnS" wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

So a Florest told me years ago. Yes.

Apparently so. I have cuttings originally from a 6th grade school
teacher 40 years ago. Growing well outdoors in Ohio, CA, and now in
E.TN one cutting grew over 5 feet in our clay-acidic soils with lots
of rainfall and watering. Coleus is easier grown outdoors than
indoors, but the first frost kills it quick and the game is to get a
cutting or two just before frost date for next year's planting. I
grow the cuttings in water for 2-4 months, then pot up. While growing
in water the leaves are quite small. Stronger plant grown in
vermiculite.

JohnS 23-02-2007 07:49 PM

Small leaves on coleus

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:42:23 -0600, "JohnS" wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I grow them in a peat mix and use, every other time, Miracle Grow for acid
plants. Make much better color and growth. Other times regular Miracle Grow
or Peter's.