Old 21-02-2007, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Small leaves on coleus

I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Old 21-02-2007, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 20 Feb 2007 20:22:12 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Coleus are very sensitive to environments. They will grow larger
leaves with more light and warmth.
Old 21-02-2007, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 20 Feb 2007 20:22:12 -0800, "
wrote:

I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

It sounds like a variety called 'Molten Lava.' Look he

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/66603/
Old 21-02-2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Some coleus varieties just have smaller leaves, just as some have ruffled
edges on their leaves. Have you had this plant long enough to see what its
typical habits are?

Old 22-02-2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Old 22-02-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JohnS" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

Old 22-02-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

So a Florest told me years ago. Yes.

Old 23-02-2007, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

"JohnS" wrote in message ...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

So a Florest told me years ago. Yes.

As it turns out, that's wrong, according to 3 books at my local library. All
3 recommended feeding every 3 months with normal houseplant fertilizer,
diluted to half strength.

Old 23-02-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:42:23 -0600, "JohnS" wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a "seemingly healthy" coleus (I don't know the exact variety
but the leaves are a dark maroon). I say it's healthy because it is
sprouting purplish buds at the ends of many stems. I am pinching some
leaf tips to promote a fuller growth...but the plant looks stunted
because the leaves are so small---I think they should be larger. It's
in a window that gets afternoon sun and I try to keep it moist.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!
Sandra in PA

Have you been fertilizing it? Try Miracle Grow for acid plants.

Coleus likes acidic conditions?

So a Florest told me years ago. Yes.

Apparently so. I have cuttings originally from a 6th grade school
teacher 40 years ago. Growing well outdoors in Ohio, CA, and now in
E.TN one cutting grew over 5 feet in our clay-acidic soils with lots
of rainfall and watering. Coleus is easier grown outdoors than
indoors, but the first frost kills it quick and the game is to get a
cutting or two just before frost date for next year's planting. I
grow the cuttings in water for 2-4 months, then pot up. While growing
in water the leaves are quite small. Stronger plant grown in
vermiculite.
Old 23-02-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:42:23 -0600, "JohnS" wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"JohnS" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I grow them in a peat mix and use, every other time, Miracle Grow for acid
plants. Make much better color and growth. Other times regular Miracle Grow
or Peter's.