GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Schizophragma-Japanese Hydrangea Vine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/154612-schizophragma-japanese-hydrangea-vine.html)

Rob 27-02-2007 09:09 PM

Schizophragma-Japanese Hydrangea Vine

Has anyone had success with this vine in Wash. DC suburbs/Zone 7?

I'm tempted to try one this year.

Jangchub 28-02-2007 12:30 AM

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:09:18 GMT, Rob wrote:

Has anyone had success with this vine in Wash. DC suburbs/Zone 7?

I'm tempted to try one this year.

I planted one about 4 or 5 or 6 years ago and it has not leaped yet!
They say first year it creeps, second year it leaps...maybe that is
not the actual phrase. I am hoping it takes off this year because I'm
so tired of the neighbor kid (7 years) jumping on her trampoline and
wanting to have discussions with me as I take a soak in the hot tub
nekkid at night. Doh.

I prefer the Schizophragma 'Moonlight' over other climbing hydrangeas.
Where do you want to buy it from? I got mine with a coupon from White
Flower Farms. Maybe it's just too hot here in Texas and it goes
dormant along with everything else in the summer.

Rob 28-02-2007 06:37 AM

Schizophragma-Japanese Hydrangea Vine

The WFF catalog does say it's for Zones 5-7S/8W. I am planning to limit it
to morning sun; the non-vine hydrangeas are definitely shade lovers around
here.

Jangchub wrote in
:

Jangchub 28-02-2007 02:02 PM

Schizophragma-Japanese Hydrangea Vine

I have a lot of trouble with hydrangeas here. You can't go wrong with
morning sun. Moisture in the soil is key with this plant. We only
get 31 inches a year here, as opposed to the 60 I'm used to on Long
Island, NY.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes and what you did so I can
duplicate that!

Rob 28-02-2007 04:01 PM

Schizophragma-Japanese Hydrangea Vine

I just read a description and culture for this vine on the Kemper Botalical
Garden site that warned they can be very slow to establish.

Good luck to you too.

Jangchub wrote in
: