Old 27-02-2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rob Rob is offline

Default Schizophragma-Japanese Hydrangea Vine

Has anyone had success with this vine in Wash. DC suburbs/Zone 7?

I'm tempted to try one this year.
Old 28-02-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:09:18 GMT, Rob wrote:

Has anyone had success with this vine in Wash. DC suburbs/Zone 7?

I'm tempted to try one this year.

I planted one about 4 or 5 or 6 years ago and it has not leaped yet!
They say first year it creeps, second year it leaps...maybe that is
not the actual phrase. I am hoping it takes off this year because I'm
so tired of the neighbor kid (7 years) jumping on her trampoline and
wanting to have discussions with me as I take a soak in the hot tub
nekkid at night. Doh.

I prefer the Schizophragma 'Moonlight' over other climbing hydrangeas.
Where do you want to buy it from? I got mine with a coupon from White
Flower Farms. Maybe it's just too hot here in Texas and it goes
dormant along with everything else in the summer.
Old 28-02-2007, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rob Rob is offline

The WFF catalog does say it's for Zones 5-7S/8W. I am planning to limit it
to morning sun; the non-vine hydrangeas are definitely shade lovers around
here.

Jangchub wrote in
:

Old 28-02-2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have a lot of trouble with hydrangeas here. You can't go wrong with
morning sun. Moisture in the soil is key with this plant. We only
get 31 inches a year here, as opposed to the 60 I'm used to on Long
Island, NY.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes and what you did so I can
duplicate that!

Old 28-02-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Rob Rob is offline

I just read a description and culture for this vine on the Kemper Botalical
Garden site that warned they can be very slow to establish.

Good luck to you too.

Jangchub wrote in
:

I have a lot of trouble with hydrangeas here. You can't go wrong with
morning sun. Moisture in the soil is key with this plant. We only
get 31 inches a year here, as opposed to the 60 I'm used to on Long
Island, NY.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes and what you did so I can
duplicate that!

[IMG] code is On

Japanese Knotweed x Russian Vine Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 5 16-10-2008 10:11 AM
Japanese beetles on grape vine JoeSpareBedroom Gardening 17 04-08-2006 09:20 PM
Hummingbird Vine=Trumpet Vine? Suzie-Q Gardening 3 16-01-2005 12:05 AM
hydrangea Sabaa Mundia Australia 6 19-06-2003 04:21 AM
Hydrangea petiolaris/Climbing Hydrangea pelirojaroja Gardening 2 21-04-2003 03:08 AM