Old 19-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Dave

Default Put partially decayed wood mulch on garden -- Nitrogen?

I've put a quantity of partially decayed wood mulch into my garden
this Spring and now understand this may cause a shortage of nitrogen
in the soil. If so what might be the most reasonable corrective action
I could take? Thanks.
Old 19-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Pam

Dave wrote:

I've put a quantity of partially decayed wood mulch into my garden
this Spring and now understand this may cause a shortage of nitrogen
in the soil. If so what might be the most reasonable corrective action
I could take? Thanks.

A high nitrogen fertilizer to compensate - blood, feather or fish meal or
bat guano are all good, organic choices.

pam - gardengal

Old 20-04-2003, 05:20 PM
simy1

(Dave) wrote in message . com...
Tsu Dho Nimh wrote in message . ..
(Dave) wrote:

I've put a quantity of partially decayed wood mulch into my garden
this Spring and now understand this may cause a shortage of nitrogen
in the soil.

Only briefly, and then the nitrogen gets releasaed again.

If so what might be the most reasonable corrective action
I could take?

Have you seen signs that the plants are not thriving?

No, nothing is planted yet. Still have frost hazard here.

My experience with old wood chips is that they help both garlic and
tomatoes, both of whom require nitrogen in quantity. The important
thing is to plant right through the chips. Also, if the chips are
already partially decomposed they already incorporate some nitrogen,
some of which will be recycled by the bacteria and some will percolate
down and fertilize, so I am almost certain you will not see any sign
of deficiency. However, by putting mulch on the ground this early, you
will delay your warm weather veggies by up to a month due to cold
soil. The plants will look healthy but they will not grow as fast. For
tomatoes, it is best to mulch in June. You can remedy that by covering
with plastic, tight, for 3-4 weeks, and have the sun warm it
thoroughly. Or you can plant your fall veggies in the chips, and the
summer veggies elsewhere.