Old 30-04-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Asparagus

Haha, very good - but you didn't have to admit it!
haha well I almost didn't...I was thinking of just pretending it didn't
happen, but humility is *supposed* to be good for the soul :-)

I should warn you that when the asparagus shoots (not the roots which are
white & "sturdy") come up they are almost impossible to see - about as thick
as a hair and quite dark in colour. At least that's how my latest ones
look - just one very flimsy inch-high thing I can barely make out against
the background of the soil. Have to hold something light behind to see them.

Don't know anything about artichokes.
Alexander

Ok thanks again ;-)

Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:39:37 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

wrote:

[...]

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Hey, Bill, put me out of my misery.

I tried to look up "cloribus" in my battered old
Latin dictionary, but no luck, and no Latinist, I.
I assume it's a declined form? Of what?

Por favor?

Persephone
Old 04-05-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
William Rose wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:39:37 -0700, William Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

wrote:

[...]

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Hey, Bill, put me out of my misery.

I tried to look up "cloribus" in my battered old
Latin dictionary, but no luck, and no Latinist, I.
I assume it's a declined form? Of what?

Por favor?

Persephone

O Gott, o Gott,
As promised, a new mistake. Coloribus gustibus non disputatum ( Of
colors and taste, you can't dispute). People like what they like and it
isn't open to logical debate.

I got tired of typing it, so I just cut and paste it now. Of course it
just had to have a typo in it. Well, hopefully, that is my humility
lesson for the day and it is out of the way now.

Thanks for the catch.

- Bill

Latin words free.

http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm

Download a free Latin-English-Latin dictionary program for your PC or
MAC.

This Latin dictionary program, (WORDS for the PC - DOS, Windows
95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP, OS/2, LINUX - and Mac OS X - console version),
takes keyboard input or a file of Latin text lines and provides an
analysis/morphology (declension, conjugation, case, tense, etc.) of each
word individually, the dictionary form, and the translation (meaning).

Have Fun

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 04-05-2007, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote:

Latin words free.

http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm

Download a free Latin-English-Latin dictionary program for your PC or
MAC.

This Latin dictionary program, (WORDS for the PC - DOS, Windows
95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP, OS/2, LINUX - and Mac OS X - console version),
takes keyboard input or a file of Latin text lines and provides an
analysis/morphology (declension, conjugation, case, tense, etc.) of each
word individually, the dictionary form, and the translation (meaning).

The link to Peter Lewis' site is dead. I've downloaded Matt Neuberg's
file, but don't know where to go from here. Can't have much faith in a
site that spells Mac as MAC.....

--
john mcwilliams

illegitmate non carborundum est..... my memory, which guarantees it's
wrong...

Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Oh, groan!

De rebus non disputanda (or words to that effect):

What has been started here?
No good will come of this.
When I referred to this as a gardening FORUM, I didn't expect .......

Caesar's Ghost

Old 04-05-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Asparagus - Oh, groan

De rebus non disputanda (or words to that effect):

What has been started here?
No good will come of this.
When I referred to this as a gardening FORUM, I didn't expect .......

Caesar's Ghost

(Sorry, this is double posted.)

Old 04-05-2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

William Wagner wrote:

Latin words free.

http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm

Download a free Latin-English-Latin dictionary program for your PC or
MAC.

This Latin dictionary program, (WORDS for the PC - DOS, Windows
95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP, OS/2, LINUX - and Mac OS X - console version),
takes keyboard input or a file of Latin text lines and provides an
analysis/morphology (declension, conjugation, case, tense, etc.) of each
word individually, the dictionary form, and the translation (meaning).

The link to Peter Lewis' site is dead. I've downloaded Matt Neuberg's
file, but don't know where to go from here. Can't have much faith in a
site that spells Mac as MAC.....

try http://users.erols.com/whitaker/wordsmac.htm

Works for me.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

William Wagner wrote:

Latin words free.

http://users.erols.com/whitaker/words.htm

Download a free Latin-English-Latin dictionary program for your PC or
MAC.

This Latin dictionary program, (WORDS for the PC - DOS, Windows
95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP, OS/2, LINUX - and Mac OS X - console version),
takes keyboard input or a file of Latin text lines and provides an
analysis/morphology (declension, conjugation, case, tense, etc.) of each
word individually, the dictionary form, and the translation (meaning).

The link to Peter Lewis' site is dead. I've downloaded Matt Neuberg's
file, but don't know where to go from here. Can't have much faith in a
site that spells Mac as MAC.....

Us "Left Coasters" just love our Macs. But you Bill. Couldn't you just
divert your eyes or something instead of patronizingly offering me a
dictionary;-)

My corn is calling.

Bis bald,
- Bill
Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Alexander Miller Alex@. wrote:

De rebus non disputanda (or words to that effect):

What has been started here?
No good will come of this.
When I referred to this as a gardening FORUM, I didn't expect .......

Caesar's Ghost

The Spanish Inquisition? Nobody expects . . .

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et
fructuosis potiri potes!

(If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced,
high-paying world of Latin!)

- Bill
Yada yada yada