GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone here gather bamboo shoots? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/158224-anyone-here-gather-bamboo-shoots.html)

James 07-05-2007 06:24 PM

Anyone here gather bamboo shoots?

It's common for running bamboo to overtake people's yards around
here. Fairly easy to get free bamboo shoots by offering to harvest
them.

I'll have to find another source since both my regular sources cleared
their patch an applied chemical control.

After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip them
in dressing and eat em..

Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait a
couple days and they're few feet tall.

Ahhh! Free poke and bamboo shoot are some benefits of spring.

Lilah Morgan 07-05-2007 07:43 PM

Anyone here gather bamboo shoots?

After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip them
in dressing and eat em..

Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait a
couple days and they're few feet tall.

At a garden where I volunteer there is a huge, ancient and spreading
patch of green bamboo, Once a year or so we have to forcibly restrain
it. Even raw, the new young shoots are crunchily delicious. I love
cooked bamboo shoots in Chinese food, so must get the loppers out again
:-)

You guys are making me hungry! We had a bamboo tree but it died :-(

Travis M. 07-05-2007 11:38 PM

Anyone here gather bamboo shoots?

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
nk.net...
After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip
them
in dressing and eat em..

Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait
couple days and they're few feet tall.

At a garden where I volunteer there is a huge, ancient and
spreading
patch of green bamboo, Once a year or so we have to forcibly
restrain
it. Even raw, the new young shoots are crunchily delicious. I love
cooked bamboo shoots in Chinese food, so must get the loppers out
again
:-)

You guys are making me hungry! We had a bamboo tree but it died :-(

Bamboo is not a tree it is in the grass family.
http://www.bambooweb.info/
http://bamboo.org/

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

rst0wxyz 08-05-2007 01:10 AM

On May 7, 10:24 am, James wrote:
It's common for running bamboo to overtake people's yards around
here. Fairly easy to get free bamboo shoots by offering to harvest
them.

I'll have to find another source since both my regular sources cleared
their patch an applied chemical control.

After boiling, the shoots reminds me of artichoke hearts. I dip them
in dressing and eat em..

Too bad you have to get them when they are only a few inches. Wait a
couple days and they're few feet tall.

Ahhh! Free poke and bamboo shoot are some benefits of spring.

Yea, I get them at a supermarket. They come in cans.