Old 19-05-2007, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Sunflowers have sprouted!

This year, they're in pots. The aphids are back again though. Some are
nearing a foot in height. Since I'm not going to eat any part of them,
am using bug killer powder on them as of today.

Good fences make good neighbors.

Wow I've never heard of aphids that big. If you can't get them under
control, look at the bright side. They'll probably keep the gophers at
bay.

My aphids are only 8 inches high, but I expect them to hit a good 18 inches
or so by mid summer. When they start to chase the cats, I put my foot down
and go for the giant lady bugs.

Old 19-05-2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

| "Lilah Morgan" wrote

| I'm so happy. I just glanced at the shelf I have the first 5 I planted
| on, and they had all sprouted.

Well, that's great - aren't they nice big sprouts? Sunflowers are great for
introducing kids to seed planting, they come up so big.

But what about that asparagus - did you ever germinate the seed, and how's it
doing? I've started some "Purple Passion" seeds (in cells) They weren't
pre-soaked and took a good 2 weeks to show above the soil. Just about needed a
magnifying glass to see them. But I've got almost 100% success.

Now about your giant aphids. You don't have to use poisonous stuff on them.
Safer's soap from the garden store will do the trick. A tiny bottle (you dilute
it) will last for years. Just spray it on those monsters and they'll be toast.
I even wonder if regular detergent wouldn't do them in.

Alexander
Old 21-05-2007, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 18, 7:28 pm, xPosTech wrote:
On 5/7/2007 8:30 PM, Dave wrote:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
.. .
"Lilah Morgan" wrote in
thlink.net:

I'm so happy. I just glanced at the shelf I have the first 5 I planted
on, and they had all sprouted. Well pretty much, they're not straight
up yet, one's still half bent over, and one is almost through the
dirt, but good enough for me! I bought an already grown miniature
sunflowerlast year, and the dogs decided to use it for a chewtoy. My
animals(whether it be the dogs or the chickens or the bunnies or the
geese) are not plant friendly. At least Joxer(my cat) hasn't bothered
them. But he doesn't go outside anymore. Oh he acts like he wants to,
and whines/meows by the door for me to let him out, but once I open
the door, he turns and runs back in the house.

Yesterday my neighbor cut down my foot tallsunflowerthat I carefully
nursed through our late freeze. Never trust a man with a weed-whacker.
I should have realized he was having just TOO much fun when the thing was
still whirring constantly and he had pretty much trimmed everything that
wasn't moving. And then he moved to our murky property line and BANG! my
sunflowerwas gone before I could scream, "STOP!"

Last year I planted about 60 of them. Not one grew.

I give.

Planted sunflowers in a bad spot/bad soil last year, only a few flowered.
Aphids and other insects ate the plants in general. Couldn't keep enough
water on them due to the severe heat here either.

This year, they're in pots. The aphids are back again though. Some are
nearing a foot in height. Since I'm not going to eat any part of them, am
using bug killer powder on them as of today.

Good fences make good neighbors.

Wow I've never heard of aphids that big. If you can't get them under
control, look at the bright side. They'll probably keep the gophers at bay.

Try 1 TBS Dawn, 1 TBS peanut (or just vegetable) oil, and 1 TBS baking
soda to 1 gallon water. Mix well and spray the plants lightly but well,
especially underside of leaves.

Good luck.

--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

Consulting:
If you're not a part of the solution,there's
good money to be made in prolonging the problem.- Hide quoted text -

Congratulations on your goal to grow sunflowers! Make sure to get some
good seeds for different varieties. That's half the fun. They are easy
to grow and enjoy. A few friends and I are working a great site
devoted to sunflowers. It will have everything imaginable about
sunflowers with all kinds of great information, links to the best
products and a discussion area. The forum is already open! Check us
out at http://www.SunflowerOcity.com