Old 19-05-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default tomatoes, lettuce,musculin wilting a few days after planting them

Hello again,

I have another question. It has been a fewdays since my fiancee' and I
picked up the bulk of our plants at a local garden nursery and it got
colder than expected the night before last. It kind of crept up on
everyone. It was in the lower 40s. Now a couple days later some of the
tomato plants and the lettuce and musculin look very wilted. The
peepper plants look ok. When we planted everything we watered them
well. And we have watered the plants each evening. I don't know
exactly when we should slow down on watering the tomatoes. I know they
don't want alot of water. I have not given any Miracle Grow yet.

I had read lasy year (awhile after we had already planted the
tomatoes) that if you cover the plants at least 50% up with the soil
that you will get bushier plants. I have always gotten tall gangly
tomato plants. So if the tops look bad can I take them off and uncover
some of what we buried? Is that a good idea after a few days?

I am conserned about the lettuce and musculin too.

Thanks for your time again.

Old 19-05-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
Nate wrote:

Now a couple days later some of the
tomato plants and the lettuce and musculin look very wilted.

Well, that didn't take long.

snip
I have not given any Miracle Grow yet.

Lose the MiracleGrow and get some fish emulsion on everything when the
soil is just a little humid.

I have always gotten tall gangly tomato plants.

Always? I thought this was your second year? It sounds as if your
tomatoes aren't getting enough Sun. Hang around. Another opinion will be
along any moment.

So if the tops look bad can I take them off and uncover
some of what we buried? Is that a good idea after a few days?

I don't think wacking on a plant when it is already stressed is a good
idea. You can screw it up later.

I am conserned about the lettuce and musculin too.

Lower forties shouldn't be a problem. Dry out (humid, not bone dry) and
fish emulsion.

Thanks for your time again.

It's OK. I prefer your problems to mine.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (and away)
Old 19-05-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Nate wrote:

|....it got
|colder than expected the night before last. It kind of crept up on
|everyone. It was in the lower 40s. Now a couple days later some of the
|tomato plants and the lettuce and musculin look very wilted. The
|peepper plants look ok.

|I had read lasy year (awhile after we had already planted the
|tomatoes) that if you cover the plants at least 50% up with the soil
|that you will get bushier plants. I have always gotten tall gangly
|tomato plants. So if the tops look bad can I take them off and uncover
|some of what we buried? Is that a good idea after a few days?
|
|I am conserned about the lettuce and musculin too.

Sounds as if the plants just got shocked by transplanting, possibly coming from
a too-soft nursery environment into the real world. Probably they needed
hardening off before planting.

I'd have expected tomatoes to handle the cold better than peppers. My book says
peppers quit growing at night temps below 50, so I don't put them out till it's
warmer. But my tomatoes are already surviving near freezing at night. Mesclun &
lettuce shouldn't be troubled at all - unless they came from a soft environment
& weren't hardened.

I'd suggest just leave everything alone for a few days and give the plants a
chance to recover. There may not be much more you can do at this stage. If the
soil is damp an inch or two below the surface, you don't have to water at all.

Planting tomatoes deep lets them make extra roots, which makes for sturdier
plants. But don't excavate them after planting. If you prune the tops you will
stimulate growth of side shoots, therefor bushiness. There are "bush" varieties
but otherwise most tomatoes get tall & lanky despite all.

Alexander
Old 19-05-2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Always? I thought this was your second year? It sounds as if your
tomatoes aren't getting enough Sun. Hang around. Another opinion will be
along any moment.

Oh.. Well with tomatoes I actually have been growing those for several
years. When I lived in an apartment but had a deck I raised four
plants in big pots. Then last year I had 13 tomato plants (along with
sweet and hot peppers and assoted herbs). We had a watermellon and
squash plant but a rabbit kept eating thes quash. We got one mellon.
They were not in the actual garden plot.

Old 20-05-2007, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Nate" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Am not big on transplants, am from seed guy.
From what I've seen, 'maters don't do squat unless its appreciable warm.
Leaf lettuce just lays there for awhile, then takes off in a few weeks.

You lost me on musculin. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Musculin
Dave