Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-05-2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Tomatoes are in & Red Mulch

I've got the tomatoes in the ground finally (I've got to grab two
more, I've got two more spots!). I've got all different kinds out
there, Big Rainbow, Boxcar Willie, Cherokee Purple, Lillians Yellow,
Abe Lincoln, Yellow Pear, Tomatoberry (grew that one from Johnny's
myself), Amish Paste, White Queen and Brandywine Pink.

I'm trying out that red mulch this season, it claims to be high-yield
tomato mulch, up to 46% more tomatoes in tests (they wouldn't lie,
would they? G), holds the moisture (natch), prevents weeds and
reduces blight caused by spoors in soil (I have a blight problem in
this yard no matter where I plant or how much I rotate).

I've also washed down my tomato cages, someone told me that they'd
heard different diseases could exist from year to year on them; it
didn't take much time to wash them down with a bleach solution and let
them dry in the sun. We'll see!

Anyone with any red plastic mulch experience? I'll post in the fall
with my own report.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts