Old 01-06-2007, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Crushed brick as mulch substitute?

I have a fairly large gazebo, built on the side of a mountain, on a sloped
site. I have planted many plants all around the structure, and I need a
mulch substitute. The site is too steep for regular mulch. or straw, as
the rains will just wash it down. Same problem with installing weed
screens, any mulch on top of that will just wash away.

I have seen what looks like crushed red brick in commercial restaurants such
as McDonald's etc. It may be a lava type product, but the last time I
noticed, it looks like crush brick pieces. It is a reddish color, and it
looks really good where I have seen it.

The problem (and my question) is whether or not weeds are a big problem if
you use that product as a mulch subtitute. I would think that if you got
it 3 or 4 inches deep, weeds would not grow through it, like it will with
mulch. My thinking is that mulch retains moisture, and promotes weed
growth, and that the brick product would not hold moisture. By the way,
this is in a shady area, and the "mulch" would be more for looks that for
preserving moisture for the plants. That is not a concern or problem in my
situation.

Have any of you ever used this crushed brick product, or can any of you
offer comments or advice ??

Thank you very much !!

James

Old 01-06-2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

I can't speak for crushed brick or lava rock, but I have several
places in my yard that are mulched 3-4 inches thick with river rock,
and it's nothing but a royal PITA. It's almost impossible to shovel
it out of the way when I want to plant something new, and weeds have
absolutely no problem sprouting through it at all. Since the rocks
make it impossible to use any kind of hoe, every single weed has to be
plucked by hand (and I would think this would be a real knuckle-
scraper with brick or lava rock). In fact, the weeds seem to really
like the rock mulch, growing big and hearty virtually overnight....

Jo Ann

Old 02-06-2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Lava rock is lava rock and crushed brick is crushed brick. Two different
materials.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Buderschnookie" wrote in message

"James" no wrote in message
. ..
I have seen what looks like crushed red brick in commercial restaurants
such
as McDonald's etc. It may be a lava type product, but the last time I
noticed, it looks like crush brick pieces. It is a reddish color, and
it
looks really good where I have seen it.

It's lava rock.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...081412245.html

--
Toni

Old 02-06-2007, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

It does not add or provide a food source for soil micros. It also can alter
the pH in a negative way.

Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"James" no wrote in message
. ..
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Crushed Coral to raise KH Growly Dog Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:08 AM
Mulch Substitute Ablang Gardening 6 17-04-2003 06:32 PM
Crushed Basalt? Billy Baty Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Crushed Basalt? (corrrection) J Kolenovsky Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
decomposed vs crushed granite Tom Jones Texas 1 21-02-2003 07:58 PM