Old 13-06-2007, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default An "American Oak" tree problem

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:14:03 -0500, dr-solo wrote:

systemic works really well in trees that arent producing edible food. on
my peach trees will occasionally get a borer, use the wire to spear it.
but normally I have window screen wrapped around so they cant get close
enough to lay and egg and get into the tree. Ingrid

You probably
should adhere to a regimen of the proper insecticide applications.

I bought a can of "acetamiprid". Does that qualify?

Old 14-06-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 13, 10:15?am, wrote:
dont fill with anything. it prevents proper overgrowth. tape over the
hole to prevent rain from getting in, wrap the tree with some
aluminum screening to prevent anything else from getting in there.

Unfilled that hole will definitely grow larger, no ifs, ands, or buts
about it. Cambrium cannot grow over air or under tape, the hole must
be properly filled to the correct level or that tree will develop
internal dry rot and being so small a tree it will then probably die.
For such a small tree that's a very serious wound, a bandaid can only
hurt it by preventing air circulation and moisture will accumulate by
condensation. If it's not going to be filled it should just be left
alone and hope for the best. Window screen is no real protection from
small egg laying insects... and often the smallest adult insects
produce the most voracious and destructive larvae. Fill the hole...
and rather than control insect infestation with poisonous chemicals
attract birds, by attacting birds there is far less opportunity for
insect infestation to begin with... if not for insect consuming birds
forests would become wastelands. A few bird houses set about cost
less than insecticides and are far easier to maintain. And don't ever
feed birds during warm seasons, they find plenty to eat without your
training them to not eat their regular normal diet.

Old 15-06-2007, 09:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:14:03 -0500, dr-solo wrote:

systemic works really well intreesthat arent producing edible food. on
my peachtreeswill occasionally get a borer, use the wire to spear it.
but normally I have window screen wrapped around so they cant get close
enough to lay and egg and get into the tree. Ingrid

You probably
should adhere to a regimen of the proper insecticide applications.

I bought a can of "acetamiprid". Does that qualify?- Hide quoted text -

If the insecticide works why plug the hole with cement? No need, the
tre will compartmentalise the wound. Oaks are great at sealing wounds,
generally speaking.
American White Oak= Quercus Alba

Old 18-06-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:58:52 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

On Jun 13, 10:15?am, wrote:
[...]

Okay, I guess I'm back to the fill with concrete approach.

Old 20-06-2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Charles T. Smith" wrote in message
news
[snip]

Okay, I guess I'm back to the fill with concrete approach.

Don't go back, go forward. I think in this case you'd be better off
checking with a local arborist rather than Usenet replies -- arborist
thinking in the U.S. opposed the use of concrete and fillers starting many
years ago, because it interferes with the tree's own efforts to repair
itself and is likely to lead to rotting wood and other problems. Local
nurseries still sell stuff for filling in tree wounds, but that's a victory
of marketing and out-of-date information over effectiveness.

Before you spend any money to "save" the tree, check with local arborists to
see if this is a known problem species while it's still young and easy to
replace. Your nursery may have an insecticide for the borer (that's what it
sounds like you have) but you might also check with a local arborist and see
if borers are a known problem with this type of tree. While it's young you
might just want to replace it with a different variety, especially something
that's a native tree, rather than keep trying to save a tree that's in the
wrong region and in steady decline --

If you're at one of the American bases in Germany you may be able to find
someone in Civil Engineering with local knowledge of trees and a list of
problem species.

Old 22-06-2007, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/15/2007 1:56 AM, Treelady wrote:
American White Oak= Quercus Alba

Hugh Johnson's "The International Book of Trees" (which I previously
mis-cited as the "World Book of Trees") gives "White Oak" as the common
name for Q. alba, without "American". It's range is from south-east
Canada to eastern U.S. Johnson also says that it is not successful in
Europe.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 22-06-2007, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:52:20 -0700, David E. Ross wrote:

On 6/15/2007 1:56 AM, Treelady wrote:
American White Oak= Quercus Alba

Hugh Johnson's "The International Book of Trees" (which I previously
mis-cited as the "World Book of Trees") gives "White Oak" as the common
name for Q. alba, without "American". It's range is from south-east
Canada to eastern U.S. Johnson also says that it is not successful in
Europe.

I showed that to my wife (particularly the last line), and she said she
thought she remembered that it was said that it was an "American Red Oak".
Who knows - it was surely just marketing giberish anyway ... it turns
nicely red in the fall - but I guess all oaks do...

Lesson learned - make sure you keep your gardening receipts....