GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Andromada propagation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/159961-andromada-propagation.html)

Charles Woolever 12-06-2007 12:33 AM

Andromada propagation

I'm looking for help in propagating a Pieris japonica at my parent's
house. I started several weeks ago with several soft-wood cuttings.
Stripped all but a few leaves, dipped in hormone and placed in some
soil-less mix. All died.

Any suggestions? I really want to get some rooted before they move in
the fall.

Thanks,

Charles

Kay Lancaster 12-06-2007 10:42 AM

Andromada propagation

I'm looking for help in propagating a Pieris japonica at my parent's
house. I started several weeks ago with several soft-wood cuttings.
Stripped all but a few leaves, dipped in hormone and placed in some
soil-less mix. All died.

Try some summer cuttings, too. Pieris is slow to root anyhow, and
seems to like a little bottom heat. FWIW, I prefer straight sand for
rooting cuttings. Many commercial growers favor perlite. Also,
make your cuts with a very sharp blade... a new single edge razor blade
is a good choice.

Any possibility of setting up a mist bench? Raise the humidity around the
cuttings to cut the transpiration losses, and keep the air moving so you
don't have a fungus factory starting.

Kay

Sheldon[_1_] 12-06-2007 02:32 PM

Andromada propagation

On Jun 11, 7:33?pm, Charles Woolever
wrote:
I'm looking for help in propagating a Pieris japonica at my parent's
house. I started several weeks ago with several soft-wood cuttings.
Stripped all but a few leaves, dipped in hormone and placed in some
soil-less mix. All died.

Any suggestions? I really want to get some rooted before they move in
the fall.

With propagating andromeda layering works best... bend a few young
lower branches to the ground, cover with good loam, place a heavy
stone on it to hold, and keep moist. After a month roots will have
formed, cut off the section with the root ball and plant immediately.

Charles Woolever 14-06-2007 03:05 AM

Andromada propagation

Thanks for everyone!

Charles