Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Andromada propagation

I'm looking for help in propagating a Pieris japonica at my parent's
house. I started several weeks ago with several soft-wood cuttings.
Stripped all but a few leaves, dipped in hormone and placed in some
soil-less mix. All died.

Any suggestions? I really want to get some rooted before they move in
the fall.

Thanks,

Charles
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

I'm looking for help in propagating a Pieris japonica at my parent's
house. I started several weeks ago with several soft-wood cuttings.
Stripped all but a few leaves, dipped in hormone and placed in some
soil-less mix. All died.

Try some summer cuttings, too. Pieris is slow to root anyhow, and
seems to like a little bottom heat. FWIW, I prefer straight sand for
rooting cuttings. Many commercial growers favor perlite. Also,
make your cuts with a very sharp blade... a new single edge razor blade
is a good choice.

Any possibility of setting up a mist bench? Raise the humidity around the
cuttings to cut the transpiration losses, and keep the air moving so you
don't have a fungus factory starting.

Kay

Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 11, 7:33?pm, Charles Woolever
wrote:
I'm looking for help in propagating a Pieris japonica at my parent's
house. I started several weeks ago with several soft-wood cuttings.
Stripped all but a few leaves, dipped in hormone and placed in some
soil-less mix. All died.

Any suggestions? I really want to get some rooted before they move in
the fall.

With propagating andromeda layering works best... bend a few young
lower branches to the ground, cover with good loam, place a heavy
stone on it to hold, and keep moist. After a month roots will have
formed, cut off the section with the root ball and plant immediately.

Old 14-06-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for everyone!

Charles

[IMG] code is On

Propagation of oleander ncstockguy North Carolina 1 06-03-2003 07:03 PM
propagation question Todd J. Gardening 6 01-03-2003 01:03 AM
Propagation Bench construction trevor.appleton United Kingdom 11 23-02-2003 11:31 AM
Agapanthus propagation (pods\seeds) Rita Bogna Australia 0 15-02-2003 06:11 AM
Macadamia home propagation [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 03-02-2003 12:34 AM