GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How well do bat houses work? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/161115-how-well-do-bat-houses-work.html)

T r a v i s 08-07-2007 07:32 AM

How well do bat houses work?

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message

You obviously live in a place where colonial bats do live and I envy
you. It is possible to coax them out and into a new bathouse. If
you
have that many, it will be a serious project and I suggest that you
contact Bat Conservation International ( Google BCI) for help.

I went to their website, and I couldn't identify our bats since I
didn't get
a close look at them, and couldn't find any plans for bat houses(we
have a
blueprint, but I read on BCI's site that some aren't reliable). So I
am
going to look again today and send an email.

Here is a bat house plan from BCI.
http://www.batcon.org/pdfs/SingleChamberBHPlans.pdf

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

hollierose 23-11-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilah Morgan (Post 726515)
Because I had been hearing noise in the 'green' room that was an add-on to
this place(mobile home) and I thought it was rats/mice(the walls on the
inside, when it was added on, they put insulation in, but nothing covering
it, and we've got stuff to fix that, but it's a 2person job, and mom's been
gone most of last few months staying in town), but tonight mom and I just
happened to be outside next to that room, and I heard the noises again, and
mentioned it to mom, and by the time we started counting all the bats that
flew out, we got to 215/216 before they stopped coming out and the noise
stopped as well. I was just...I couldn't believe it. I figure 2 or 3 dozen
at least flew out before we started counting, so that's probably at least
250 bats living in the walls. And I want them outside...I don't mind them
living on the property, just in their own houses, not OURS!

I have studied bats, and I love them. I feel very sorry for them though, and it is highly unfortunate that they are currently decreasing in numbers. :(

I'm pleased that you're considering doing something about it though, I have purchased a couple of bat boxes from the site batboxes.co.uk and I have had them a couple of years and noticed signs of bats living there.

Good luck, and learn from my experience that if you don't notice any signs of bats within a few years, move your bat box because its probably down to location.

ellyka112 27-11-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon Fisk (Post 726930)
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 04:29:30 GMT, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

[...]

You have already received some good info from Jack. I'll
just add this link for another Bat organization that is
located at the Cranbrook institute in Bloomfield Hills, MI.

Bat houses, books, sponsorships and conservation from the Organization for Bat Conservation

Lots of good information available via that site.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

haha well my mom disagrees, she thinks they were only at best 7inches from
wingtip to wingtip, .......whatever, they really weren't big...they came out a
tiny slit in the wall on the outside of the house

hollierose 03-12-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

They work really well! I brought one from www.batboxes.co.uk.. It has lasted ages. Providing you know how to properly check for signs of bats you can tell if you have bat residents within a few years.. And usually you would. :)