Old 10-07-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hedge Replacement

A good friend of mine has a long, wide row of hedges in his back yard. They
are about 8.5 to 9 feet tall. (Yes, they are a pain to trim.) In the front
yard there is one gaping top section cut out by storm, injury or whatever?
This section is about 3 feet in length at most. I asked him if he ever
thought of removing the hedges in that area and replanting a fuller ones.
He said he'd like to but that it would take years for replacement hedges to
grow to that height and fill in.

Is he on target here or is a there a work around to this problem?

Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

dont know where you are located zonewise, but both forsythia and
especially spirea, bridal wreath makes spectacular hedges that dont
need to be trimmed, just pruned a bit after blooming. these are my
dwarf spireas http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/spirea/spirea.html
they were too big and had to be removed unfortunately. Ingrid

Old 12-07-2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
dont know where you are located zonewise, but both forsythia and
especially spirea, bridal wreath makes spectacular hedges that dont
need to be trimmed, just pruned a bit after blooming. these are my
dwarf spireas http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/spirea/spirea.html
they were too big and had to be removed unfortunately.

Nicely planted but you need more yard.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Bracknell

Some bamboos are good for hedges, try Semiarundinaria fatuosa or is that too tall @ 20ft?
Old 13-07-2007, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

dont know where you are located zonewise, but both forsythia and
especially spirea, bridal wreath makes spectacular hedges that dont
need to be trimmed, just pruned a bit after blooming. these are my
dwarf spireas http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/spirea/spirea.html
they were too big and had to be removed unfortunately. Ingrid

Thanks for the photos. Don't believe forsythia is the species he has. We
live in New England. These hedges have somewhat oval shaped, small leaves
that run in pairs off the branches. The leaves have one central vein in the
middle.

I put a link to what they might look like. I can't see the leaves on these
hedges. So, I'm not certain.

http://www.armin-grewe.com/holiday/g...ote-hedges.jpg

Old 13-07-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Those a most likely a common privet hedge: http://tinyurl.com/32xpvt

http://www.naturehills.com/new/produ...ur+North+River

Old 14-07-2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 13, 9:09?am, "Charlie S." wrote:

Thanks for the photos. Don't believe forsythia is the species he has.
We
live in New England. These hedges have somewhat oval shaped, small
leaves
that run in pairs off the branches. The leaves have one central vein in
the
middle.

I put a link to what they might look like. I can't see the leaves on
these
hedges. So, I'm not certain.

http://www.armin-grewe.com/holiday/g...ote-hedges.jpg

Those a most likely a common privet hedge: http://tinyurl.com/32xpvt

http://www.naturehills.com/new/produ...ur+North+River

Thanks! That's the hedge I'm talking about.

Guess there is nothing he can do about the gap except remove the old hedge
and plant young, new ones.