Old 29-07-2007, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatoes not growing....solved.....thanks all.....

I posted about a month ago asking about why my tomatoes were not
growing. I went to the extension office and they confirmed what I was
pretty sure of from doing some internet research. The tomatoes (13 of
the 15 I planted) contracted curly top virus. They are planted next to
the alley behind my house and on the other side of it is an irrigation
ditch (pecan orchards....did you know here in the hot, dry southern
new mexico desert we are the largest producer of pecans in the
country?). Around that irrigation ditch is a stand of
weeds.....mustard weeds. Curly top is transmitted to tomatoes by leaf
cutters. Over the winter, they winter in mustard weeds, from which
they pick up the virus. When the tomatoes came up, the little leaf
cutters jumped on them, and munched on the juices, transmitting the
virus as they did. The giveaway was the leathery, stiff texture of the
leaves, as well as the leaves curling and sometimes turning upside
down.

I pulled them all up, two survived though they don't look great. But
I'll let them go to see what they do.

Thanks for all of your help.

Sarah