Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Seeds to share

I've got breadseed poppies, little single orange poppies, Angelica
gigas, Dracocephalum moldavica (thanx, Amos!), and will have
calendulas a bit later on, to share with anyone who might want some.
Send me your snail mail address via annbal at comcast dot net if
you're interested.

The poppies, Moldavian Dragonsheads and calendulas reseed for me
reliably every year, they're some of the volunteers I've talked about
in my posts. I've also got larkspurs out there but not so many this
year, so I can't share any for this season.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann said:

I've got breadseed poppies

You know that Papaver somniferum is illegal to grow, in the US, right? (Not
that any black helicopters are going to be circling your house, heh. But,
they /are/ illegal).

--

Eggs

My weight is perfect for my height.... which varies.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Eggs Zachtly expounded:

Ann said:

I've got breadseed poppies

You know that Papaver somniferum is illegal to grow, in the US, right? (Not
that any black helicopters are going to be circling your house, heh. But,
they /are/ illegal).

Yea, I know, but many do grow them. Mine are right out at the street,
the narcs haven't knocked yet.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Ann said:

I've got breadseed poppies

You know that Papaver somniferum is illegal to grow, in the US, right? (Not
that any black helicopters are going to be circling your house, heh. But,
they /are/ illegal).

Opium poppies are perfectly legal to cultivate in the US. It is illegal
to process them for opium production. You cannot be busted for simply
having poppy plants on your property. However, you are subject to
arrest and prosecution if there is visible evidence of deliberate opium
collection such as scored capsules.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Amos Nomore wrote:

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Ann said:

I've got breadseed poppies

You know that Papaver somniferum is illegal to grow, in the US, right? (Not
that any black helicopters are going to be circling your house, heh. But,
they /are/ illegal).

Opium poppies are perfectly legal to cultivate in the US. It is illegal
to process them for opium production. You cannot be busted for simply
having poppy plants on your property. However, you are subject to
arrest and prosecution if there is visible evidence of deliberate opium
collection such as scored capsules.

I would like to retract that statement. Opium poppy plants are
scheduled in the US. Deliberate cultivation of the plant is actually
illegal, but since these plants are so common and have many uses other
than drug production, cultivators are rarely prosecuted unless they are
growing conspicuously large quantities or are otherwise clearly engaged
in drug production. If you are bothered by law enforcement for having a
few poppy plants on your property, claiming they were not planted but
volunteered should get you off the hook unless, of course, you've been
slashing those pods.

I apologize for misinformation.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ann said:

Eggs Zachtly expounded:

Ann said:

I've got breadseed poppies

You know that Papaver somniferum is illegal to grow, in the US, right? (Not
that any black helicopters are going to be circling your house, heh. But,
they /are/ illegal).

Yea, I know, but many do grow them. Mine are right out at the street,
the narcs haven't knocked yet.

I figured. I like them, too. They come in all kinda colors. I just never
had the nerve to grow them. LOL

--

Eggs

If you can read this, you've just wasted your time on reading the sentence
'If you read this, you've just wasted your time on reading the sentence' -
Twice!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Amos Nomore said:

Opium poppies are perfectly legal to cultivate in the US.

Ya think? Better brush up on your Federal Regulations:

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 21, Volume 9]
[Revised as of April 1, 2006]
[CITE: 21CFR1308.12]

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS
CHAPTER II--DRUG ENFORCEMENT ADMINISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

PART 1308 -- SCHEDULES OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES

Schedules
Sec. 1308.12 Schedule II.

(a) Schedule II shall consist of the drugs and other substances, by
whatever official name, common or usual name, chemical name, or brand name
designated, listed in this section. Each drug or substance has been
assigned the Controlled Substances Code Number set forth opposite it.

(b) Substances, vegetable origin or chemical synthesis. Unless specifically
excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any of the following
substances whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from
substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical
synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:

(1) Opium and opiate, and any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of
opium or opiate excluding apomorphine, thebaine-derived butorphanol,
dextrorphan, nalbuphine, nalmefene, naloxone, and naltrexone, and their
respective salts, but including the following:

(2) Any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation thereof which is
chemically equivalent or identical with any of the substances referred to
in paragraph (b) (1) of this section, except that these substances shall
not include the isoquinoline alkaloids of opium.

(3) Opium poppy and poppy straw.

--

Eggs

-Two peanuts walk into a bar. One was a salted.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Amos Nomore said:

In article ,
Amos Nomore wrote:

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Ann said:

[...]

Ahh, just saw this, after referencing the code. =)

We'll call it a draw. =)
--

Eggs

-It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Amos Nomore expounded:

I would like to retract that statement. Opium poppy plants are
scheduled in the US. Deliberate cultivation of the plant is actually
illegal, but since these plants are so common and have many uses other
than drug production, cultivators are rarely prosecuted unless they are
growing conspicuously large quantities or are otherwise clearly engaged
in drug production. If you are bothered by law enforcement for having a
few poppy plants on your property, claiming they were not planted but
volunteered should get you off the hook unless, of course, you've been
slashing those pods.

I apologize for misinformation.

I've told this story before here, but years ago.

The seeds I've offered were given to me originally by a little old
lady over in Scituate (she was a wonderful gardener, of course she's
gone now, and so is her garden). She had them growing in her garden
for years and years - until an overzealous new cop saw them and
decided to 'bust' her for them. It made the local papers. The
charges were dropped and the cop subjected to much ridicule. They
haven't bothered any of us again. Of course if I was carving up the
seedpods and harvesting the resulting sap I'd be in a bit of trouble,
but since they're right next to the busy road I live on and the police
have full view of them I'm pretty sure they'll not bother with me.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote in
:

Amos Nomore expounded:

[...]

Here in Indiana, I got my current crop of Heritage Bread-seed Poppies
from one of the Landmark Homes in the area. They sell them in their gift
shop.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

Amos Nomore expounded:

I would like to retract that statement. Opium poppy plants are
scheduled in the US. Deliberate cultivation of the plant is actually
illegal, but since these plants are so common and have many uses other
than drug production, cultivators are rarely prosecuted unless they are
growing conspicuously large quantities or are otherwise clearly engaged
in drug production. If you are bothered by law enforcement for having

few poppy plants on your property, claiming they were not planted but
volunteered should get you off the hook unless, of course, you've been
slashing those pods.

I apologize for misinformation.

^the

[...]

I've grown very nice poppies from seeds from the grocery store. Some
were surprisingly ornamental, but most were white or red wild-looking
things (which I adore equally).

Most, if not virtually all, of the poppy seed used for food is a
byproduct of poppies grown for drug production, licit and illicit.
Chances are that if you grow poppies from say, McCormick seed, you will
be growing plants specifically bred for high alkaloid content. In the
past that meant a high percentage of morphine. In recent years,
however, strains of poppies have been developed which have a high
concentration of the opioid thebaine and relatively low morphine
content. Thebaine is desired by legitimate pharmaceutical manufacturers
as a precursor for the manufacture of oxycodone and other modern
synthetic opioids. Thebaine itself is quite toxic and has minimal
recreational potential, so any opium extracted from these high thebaine
poppy strains would be dangerous and worthless on the illicit drug
market as raw opium, and grossly substandard as a source for the
morphine base used for heroin manufacture. Since McCormick presumably
imports tons of poppy seed from legitimate pharmaceutical poppy growers
in Canada, New Zealand and Australia, much of that seed will nowadays be
of the high thebaine Tasmanian strain which is overtaking the morphine
dominant poppies of yesteryear in the licensed poppy industry.

I just thought I'd share this out of general interest but, you never
know, maybe it'll save a life or two. LOL. Well, at least maybe I've
compensated a bit for jeopardizing the legal lives of countless innocent
rec.gardens visitors. ;-}
Old 09-08-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Amos Nomore said:

In article ,
Amos Nomore wrote:

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Ann said:

[...]

You are so kind. I think I had a brain fart.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/8/07 9:20 PM, in article ,
"Ann" wrote:

Amos Nomore expounded:

[...]

Ann, email me off list....

Old 09-08-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
BetsyB
"Amos Nomore" wrote in message
In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

Amos Nomore expounded:

[...]

On a similar thread: read thru this article from today's paper in NJ.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

betsyb wrote:

On a similar thread: read thru this article from today's paper in NJ.

You forgot to include the article.

You also put your sig delimiter at the top of your post, this causes
replies to exclude the text from your and others posts.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

[IMG] code is On

Seeds to share-Forgot to attach article betsyb Gardening 6 10-08-2007 02:56 AM
seeds to share Rene Blom Gardening 3 03-02-2004 05:12 PM
seeds to share Rene Blom United Kingdom 0 02-02-2004 11:18 PM
seeds to share Rene Blom Texas 0 02-02-2004 07:54 PM
seeds to share Rene Blom Australia 0 02-02-2004 07:51 PM