Old 07-08-2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Baker Creek

Went there Sunday. Did about four hours of pickin and singin. Had a
great time, but it was HOT. I took three each two-liter frozen
bottles of water and two smaller ones. They got me through the day.
The speaker on seed saving did not show, or I had things mixed up.
But, I have found resources on the web. There were many more
exhibitors and sellers there than I expected, and the breeze over the
south hill helped some.
I picked up some sweet red onions and some hotter Italian garlic for
my pasta sauce. I spent last wed and thurs boiling, peeling, and food
processing about 120 tomatoes (they all ripened up at the same time)
for the sauce. If I can work up the ambition, I will start it
tomorrow. I got some hot sausage and I am going to use Pablano
peppers in the sauce this year.
I also picked up what I thought was bread and butter pickles. It was
made with that type of spice and sliced onions, but with summer squash
rather than with cukes. YUUMMMMM.

Those who have never been should make an effort to come to BC
sometime.
www.rareseeds.com
Not only is it a place to get the finest heirloom seeds, but other
stuff and the PEOPLE.
You will find:
1. Old unreconstructed hippies
2. Bearded men in frock coats and stovepipe hats, being trailed by
multiple, bonnet-headed wives.
3. Cowboys
4. Born again:
a. vegans
b. Christians
c. Crystal Power People
d. mountain (wo)men
e. new somethings each visit
5. Terribly relevant "I know the secret to happiness" folks

BUT......we all laugh at ourselves, giving us the right to laugh at
and with others.

The young man who started this did so while in high school, on his
bedroom computer. Ten years later, he is a zillionaire, and the John
the Baptist of Heirloom seeds. He is an informed, intelligent, and
very likable kid (27).

cheers

oz, who welcomes anyone going through to his 63 acre boonie place,
built for guests inside Mark Twain NF

Old 07-08-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for sharing this. I found it interesting and went to the web
page. Sounds like it was a fun event! Maybe next year!

loony

Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

MajorOz wrote:
[...]

pickled squash is good!

cheers

oz, who welcomes anyone going through to his 63 acre boonie place,
built for guests inside Mark Twain NF

Sounds like you had a good time! We are heading out to the Shrimp
Festival (Snead's Ferry village, NC) on Saturday. At the festival, you
can eat all the shrimp you want (for a fee of course) & it's cooked
every way you can imagine. Taking the kids to the festival parade, then
hitting the water. I hate public beaches, so after the parade, we are
taking the boat out to our own little "private" island in the bay. Might
do a bit of netting off the boat while we are out. (don't worry, my
(step)dad has his commercial license, so we will be fishing legally!)
Will be both kids' first boat ride. Maybe them (& my hubby!) will enjoy
it as much as I do....

Rae