Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to plant vines around base of vertical columns on concrete

Hello,

We have several columns in our backyard that support both open and
closed awnings. All of the columns rest on concrete around an in-
ground pool. We are wanting to plant some vines at the base of the
columns that will swirl around the columns and grow up. I thought of
getting some U-shaped planter boxes that could wrap around the columns
at the base which could then have vines planted in them. But as I have
looked into this, I dont know if it will work. (I am not an
experienced gardener.) We have an automatic sprinkler to handle the
watering, but I dont know how realistic getting sealed beds (to keep
the dirt in) of sufficient size to host vines are. The columns are
about 12" in diameter. If I had planters that are 12" wide, then I
suddenly have a column base that is over 3' wide at the base. My guess
is they would have to be about 24" deep in order to have enough dirt
to allow the vines to be healthy.

Has anyone out there ever attempted anything like this?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Old 13-08-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

The columns are about 12" in diameter. If I had planters that are 12"
wide, then I suddenly have a column base that is over 3' wide at the
base. My guess is they would have to be about 24" deep in order to
have enough dirt to allow the vines to be healthy.

That's a pretty decent sized container. I'm sure there are some vines
which would want more root space, but I'm guessing many would do fine
with this.

The biggest catch is probably that you'll likely need more watering
than a similarly sized patch of ground. But I'm assuming you can
adjust your irrigation system/schedule accordingly (depending on
whether the vines look thirsty - don't water too frequently either, or
so much that all the water is just running out of the planters).
Old 14-08-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Virginia creeper would probably grow in those conditions just fine.
they like alkaline conditions, shade, grow thru cracks in concrete
just fine too... LOL. they grow fast, they do have roots that attach,
but they are beautiful in summer, turn red in fall, have berries for
wildlife. Ingrid