Old 17-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered User

Location: italy - sardinia
Red face what plant is it?

hello, I'm sorry for my English but I'm Italian girl..... I've this plant in my garden, and I don't know what to do, if to water it or to burn it

Old 17-08-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default what plant is it?

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...6082007167.jpg

I can't see where the stems attach to the leaves, but if there is a
little sheath there, it is in the buckwheat family (see the picture of
an "ocrea" halfway down http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonaceae ).
Most of those are generally considered weeds (although you need to
make the final decision for yourself).

But at least in my garden (Washington, DC) there are other volunteer
plants which look like that, including Pokeweed and probably others.

If you are in the UK, as you email address would seem to imply, my
experience here is perhaps even less likely to help you.

Until it flowers, it might be pretty hard to identify.
Old 18-08-2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Washington DC what plant is it?

In article ,
Jim Kingdon wrote:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...6082007167.jpg

I can't see where the stems attach to the leaves, but if there is a
little sheath there, it is in the buckwheat family (see the picture of
an "ocrea" halfway down http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonaceae ).
Most of those are generally considered weeds (although you need to
make the final decision for yourself).

But at least in my garden (Washington, DC) there are other volunteer
plants which look like that, including Pokeweed and probably others.

If you are in the UK, as you email address would seem to imply, my
experience here is perhaps even less likely to help you.

Until it flowers, it might be pretty hard to identify.

Jim:

I'm going to be in DC on Sept. 15-20. Can I pick your brain some?
It's my first trip. (I'm going to meet with Senators about the
Farm Bill. It's a National Farmers Union trip.)

Anyway, I want to know about Farmers Markets, the US Botanical Garden
and anything else that I can't miss. (I'm arriving a day ahead of time
and leaving a day later than everyone else in my organization, so I can
be a tourista. It's only fair, since my state is *full* of tourists
right now.)

Suggestions?

Jan in Alaska
Old 20-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Registered User

Location: italy - sardinia
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kingdon View Post
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...6082007167.jpg

I can't see where the stems attach to the leaves, but if there is a
little sheath there, it is in the buckwheat family (see the picture of
an "ocrea" halfway down http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonaceae ).
Most of those are generally considered weeds (although you need to
make the final decision for yourself).

But at least in my garden (Washington, DC) there are other volunteer
plants which look like that, including Pokeweed and probably others.

If you are in the UK, as you email address would seem to imply, my
experience here is perhaps even less likely to help you.

Until it flowers, it might be pretty hard to identify.
mmmhhh weeds....I'll kill it tomorrow, thank you for your invite but I live in italy in sardinia, thank you for your response
tiziana