GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   looking for carefree color (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/163585-looking-carefree-color.html)

readandpostrosie[_2_] 21-08-2007 03:24 PM

looking for carefree color

at the end of my driveway, i have four white birch trees that are just
beautiful.
the entrance could use some color however and i would like to put some
bushes of some sort out there.

roses that don't rot? and bloom forever?
:)

any suggestions?

rosie
the VERY lazy gardener

Sheldon[_1_] 21-08-2007 07:25 PM

looking for carefree color

"readandpostrosie" wrote:
at the end of my driveway, i have four white birch trees that are just
beautiful.
the entrance could use some color however and i would like to put some
bushes of some sort out there.

roses that don't rot? and bloom forever?
:)

any suggestions?

rosie
the VERY lazy gardener

What do you mean by the "end" of your driveway, the foot (by the road)
or the head (by where you park)... I think of where one parks as the
"end", as in the driveway *ends* at the garage. It's generally not a
good idea to plant shrubs at the foot of a driveway (can obstruct the
view of the roadway). Since you're not sure what you want I would
suggest planting a patch of annuals, color choices are infinite, and
annuals were invented for lazy people. At some point you may decide
on something more permanent, like a low growing rock garden... but if
you live where snow fall is considerable it's a good idea not to do
anything too involved at the foot of the driveway or snow removal will
probably do major damage to your efforts. A small patch of petunias
will add lots of color all summer and require minimal care.

sockiescat 21-08-2007 11:42 PM

Sheldon[_1_];741267']"readandpostrosie" wrote:
[...]

i think the suggestions made by sheldon are really good as we dont
know what the area that u want to put colour into looks like or where
it is actually located.
maybe take a picture so that we can at least get an idea of where u
want to put things. just a thought. good luck. cyaaaaaaa, sockiescat :).

readandpostrosie[_2_] 22-08-2007 04:11 PM

looking for carefree color

thanks to both of you!
by the end, i DID mean the entrance to our driveway..................but
about 20 feet from where the snow is piled up in the winter.
annuals are for "lazy" folks?
i would have thought the opposite......................perennials, need to
be planted just once!
;)

snotbottom 23-08-2007 01:58 AM

looking for carefree color

Many perennials do require a fair bit of work, and most only bloom for
a short time. Annuals, however are quite carefree and most self-seed
freely and thus also only need to be planted once... :-)

I haven't planted violas, snapdragons, gloriosa daisies, alyssum,
foxglove, moss rose or sunflowers for years... they just keep coming
back. I might relocate a few, but otherwise I just let 'em grow.

One perennial that I've lately fallen in love with is Summer Sun
Heliopsis. Nice tall perennial with yellow flowers and a long
blooming time.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55618/

Cheers!