Old 21-08-2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default looking for carefree color

at the end of my driveway, i have four white birch trees that are just
beautiful.
the entrance could use some color however and i would like to put some
bushes of some sort out there.

roses that don't rot? and bloom forever?

any suggestions?

rosie
the VERY lazy gardener

Old 21-08-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"readandpostrosie" wrote:
at the end of my driveway, i have four white birch trees that are just
beautiful.
the entrance could use some color however and i would like to put some
bushes of some sort out there.

roses that don't rot? and bloom forever?

any suggestions?

rosie
the VERY lazy gardener

What do you mean by the "end" of your driveway, the foot (by the road)
or the head (by where you park)... I think of where one parks as the
"end", as in the driveway *ends* at the garage. It's generally not a
good idea to plant shrubs at the foot of a driveway (can obstruct the
view of the roadway). Since you're not sure what you want I would
suggest planting a patch of annuals, color choices are infinite, and
annuals were invented for lazy people. At some point you may decide
on something more permanent, like a low growing rock garden... but if
you live where snow fall is considerable it's a good idea not to do
anything too involved at the foot of the driveway or snow removal will
probably do major damage to your efforts. A small patch of petunias
will add lots of color all summer and require minimal care.

Old 21-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Registered User

Smile

Sheldon[_1_];741267']"readandpostrosie" wrote:
[...]

i think the suggestions made by sheldon are really good as we dont
know what the area that u want to put colour into looks like or where
it is actually located.
maybe take a picture so that we can at least get an idea of where u
want to put things. just a thought. good luck. cyaaaaaaa, sockiescat .
Old 22-08-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

thanks to both of you!
by the end, i DID mean the entrance to our driveway..................but
about 20 feet from where the snow is piled up in the winter.
annuals are for "lazy" folks?
i would have thought the opposite......................perennials, need to
be planted just once!

Old 23-08-2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Many perennials do require a fair bit of work, and most only bloom for
a short time. Annuals, however are quite carefree and most self-seed
freely and thus also only need to be planted once... :-)

I haven't planted violas, snapdragons, gloriosa daisies, alyssum,
foxglove, moss rose or sunflowers for years... they just keep coming
back. I might relocate a few, but otherwise I just let 'em grow.

One perennial that I've lately fallen in love with is Summer Sun
Heliopsis. Nice tall perennial with yellow flowers and a long
blooming time.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55618/

Cheers!