GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Conifers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/165280-conifers.html)

[email protected] 24-09-2007 11:25 AM

Conifers

Im helping out a friend by trimming 6 foot off his conifer hedge, last
time i did this i used a band saw but found it to be slow and
laborious, can anyone reccomend an easier way of doing this, thanks

Cheryl Isaak 24-09-2007 11:47 AM

Conifers

On 9/24/07 6:25 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

Im helping out a friend by trimming 6 foot off his conifer hedge, last
time i did this i used a band saw but found it to be slow and
laborious, can anyone reccomend an easier way of doing this, thanks

A band saw? How in holy hell did you use a band saw to trim a hedge? Both
are, uhm, unwieldy, not to mention heavy....

Try a hedge trimmer next time.

Jim Kingdon 24-09-2007 12:27 PM

Conifers

Try a hedge trimmer next time.

To trim off 6 feet? I guess maybe if the branches are small enough.

But generally I've trimmed hedges with a hand saw, and it indeed is
slow and laborious.

I don't know if something like this:
http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ProductID=9867
and/or
http://www.orchardsedge.com/order1.jsp?code=RL-3560

would be easier.

Also, http://www.ehow.com/how_15261_prune-hedges.html says "Evergreen
hedges such as juniper and cypress should never be trimmed below the
foliage or they won't grow back. Clip only a few inches from the
previous year's growth." I think there might be a happy medium
between "a few inches" and "below the foliage" but anyway, I thought I
should pass along this advice.

Dave 25-09-2007 01:31 AM

Conifers

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im helping out a friend by trimming 6 foot off his conifer hedge, last
time i did this i used a band saw but found it to be slow and
laborious, can anyone reccomend an easier way of doing this, thanks

Consider replying with correction. A band saw is mounted in a platform. It
is not mobile in any fashion. Consider rough cut with a chainsaw if needed.
Dave

[email protected] 25-09-2007 09:45 AM

Conifers

I don't know if something like this:http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ils.aspx?Produ...
and/orhttp://www.orchardsedge.com/order1.jsp?code=RL-3560

would be easier.

Also,http://www.ehow.com/how_15261_prune-hedges.htmlsays "Evergreen
hedges such as juniper and cypress should never be trimmed below the
foliage or they won't grow back. Clip only a few inches from the
previous year's growth." I think there might be a happy medium
between "a few inches" and "below the foliage" but anyway, I thought I
should pass along this advice.

Thanks for the advice

[email protected] 25-09-2007 09:46 AM

Conifers

On 25 Sep, 01:31, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Im helping out a friend by trimming 6 foot off his conifer hedge, last
time i did this i used a band saw but found it to be slow and
laborious, can anyone reccomend an easier way of doing this, thanks

Consider replying with correction. A band saw is mounted in a platform. It
is not mobile in any fashion. Consider rough cut with a chainsaw if needed.
Dave

Yeah, i meant a bow saw, haha, cheers for the advice