Old 24-09-2007, 11:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Conifers

Im helping out a friend by trimming 6 foot off his conifer hedge, last
time i did this i used a band saw but found it to be slow and
laborious, can anyone reccomend an easier way of doing this, thanks

Old 24-09-2007, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Try a hedge trimmer next time.

To trim off 6 feet? I guess maybe if the branches are small enough.

But generally I've trimmed hedges with a hand saw, and it indeed is
slow and laborious.

I don't know if something like this:
http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ProductID=9867
and/or
http://www.orchardsedge.com/order1.jsp?code=RL-3560

would be easier.

Also, http://www.ehow.com/how_15261_prune-hedges.html says "Evergreen
hedges such as juniper and cypress should never be trimmed below the
foliage or they won't grow back. Clip only a few inches from the
previous year's growth." I think there might be a happy medium
between "a few inches" and "below the foliage" but anyway, I thought I
should pass along this advice.
Old 25-09-2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ups.com...
Im helping out a friend by trimming 6 foot off his conifer hedge, last
time i did this i used a band saw but found it to be slow and
laborious, can anyone reccomend an easier way of doing this, thanks

Consider replying with correction. A band saw is mounted in a platform. It
is not mobile in any fashion. Consider rough cut with a chainsaw if needed.
Dave

Old 25-09-2007, 09:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

I don't know if something like this:http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ils.aspx?Produ...
and/orhttp://www.orchardsedge.com/order1.jsp?code=RL-3560

would be easier.

Also,http://www.ehow.com/how_15261_prune-hedges.htmlsays "Evergreen
hedges such as juniper and cypress should never be trimmed below the
foliage or they won't grow back. Clip only a few inches from the
previous year's growth." I think there might be a happy medium
between "a few inches" and "below the foliage" but anyway, I thought I
should pass along this advice.

Thanks for the advice

Old 25-09-2007, 09:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 25 Sep, 01:31, "Dave" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Im helping out a friend by trimming 6 foot off his conifer hedge, last
time i did this i used a band saw but found it to be slow and
laborious, can anyone reccomend an easier way of doing this, thanks

Consider replying with correction. A band saw is mounted in a platform. It
is not mobile in any fashion. Consider rough cut with a chainsaw if needed.
Dave

Yeah, i meant a bow saw, haha, cheers for the advice

[IMG] code is On

brown conifers PMAC1727 United Kingdom 2 02-07-2003 12:08 PM
Conifers. Help What can I plant round them? Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 7 11-06-2003 10:08 PM
Young Leylandii and Lawson conifers, prune and manage David C United Kingdom 3 17-04-2003 10:32 PM
[IBC] conifers seed sowing guidelines Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 06:44 PM
Say goodbye to San Bernardino Mtn. conifers Joe and Julie alt.forestry 4 17-01-2003 08:53 PM