Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Why wash fertilizer off the grass?

If you use fertilizer containing weed killer they want you to put it on wet
grass and do not wash it off the grass.

But if you use fertilizer without weed killer they want it washed off of the
grass. Why? Is this fertilizer different chemically?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 17:33:49 -0400, "Academia"
wrote:

If you use fertilizer containing weed killer they want you to put it on wet
grass and do not wash it off the grass.

The broadleaf killer granulars need to stick to the leaves (of the
weeds) to work.

But if you use fertilizer without weed killer they want it washed off of the
grass. Why? Is this fertilizer different chemically?

Some fertilizers can be harsh and may burn the grass. Fertilizer
applied to a damp ground, then watered in are much less likely to
burn.

BTW, in most US areas this is a poor time of the year to be using lawn
weed killer.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Jim is offline

Academia wrote:

If you use fertilizer containing weed killer they want you to put it on wet
grass and do not wash it off the grass.

But if you use fertilizer without weed killer they want it washed off of the
grass. Why? Is this fertilizer different chemically?

Thanks

'weed & feed' is a contradiction.

herbicides need to stay in contact with the plant they are
intended to kill long enough for the plant to absorb the
chemical doing the killing.

fertilizers of the granular type need to go on the ground
so they can be absorbed into the soil and made available
to the root systems they are intended to feed.

most types of granular nitrogen in contact with plant
foliage do more harm than good.

products known as 'weed & feed' were invented as some kind of
great time saver and are mostly used by the unfortunate unknowing
unaware types of people looking for a quick solution with the
least amount of time away from their beer and watching their
sports-guy heroes on video.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/6/2007 2:33 PM, Academia wrote:
If you use fertilizer containing weed killer they want you to put it on wet
grass and do not wash it off the grass.

But if you use fertilizer without weed killer they want it washed off of the
grass. Why? Is this fertilizer different chemically?

I used to use a "weed & feed" combination where the herbicide (monuron)
worked through the weed roots. It was for dichondra lawns (D.
micrantha, a broadleaf ground cover sometimes called "leaf lawn"). This
had to be rinsed off the foliage and into the soil. It was very
effective, killing grasses, oxalis, spurge, dandelions, and even
seedlings from my ash tree. Unfortunately, it's no longer available in
the U.S. The manufacturer declined to renew the EPA permits, claiming
the market was too small to bother with the permitting process. (D.
micrantha only grows in non-desert, mild-winter climates.) It's very
difficult to keep oxalis and spurge out of a dichondra lawn. Thus, when
monuron was no longer available, I had my garden redone with a lawn of
red fescue (Festuca rubra), an ornamental grass that needs mowing only
once or twice a year.

For a dry product, I can't imagine a "weed & feed" combination working
by contact.

On the other hand, dry fertilizer in the open will eventually absorb
moisture from the air and slowly dissolve (too slowly for an herbicide
to be effective). (Ever notice how dry fertilizer sometimes even cakes
while in the bag?) Some dry products (e.g., ammonium sulfate) will even
extract moisture from foliage that it contacts. In contact with
foliage, this will easily burn. Thus, you want to rinse the dry product
off the grass and into the soil. Not only does that prevent leaf-burn
but it starts moving the nutrients into the soil in a solution much more
dilute than what is created by absorbing moisture from the air.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 07-10-2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 6, 2:33 pm, "Academia" wrote:
If you use fertilizer containing weed killer they want you to put it on wet
grass and do not wash it off the grass.

But if you use fertilizer without weed killer they want it washed off of the
grass. Why? Is this fertilizer different chemically?

Thanks

Let's not make this complicated.

The "weed" part like Jim said needs to be in physical contact with the
target plant. This is usually a broadleaf. Lawn is not a broad leaf
and is not harmed. You must turn the irrigation on to simply wet the
foliage. 5 seconds will do.

The "feed" comes mostly via the roots some is taken in via the foliage
but nothing significant. The next morning when your lawn is watered
the fertilizer will wash to the ground and be picked up by the roots.

It is best to apply a weed and feed on a sunny day in the morning.
Not over 95. This will allow the target weed to absorb as much of the
kill juice as possible.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Academia" wrote in message
If you use fertilizer containing weed killer they want you to put it on
wet grass and do not wash it off the grass.

But if you use fertilizer without weed killer they want it washed off of
the grass. Why? Is this fertilizer different chemically?

Thanks

I shop with a calculator. I buy the fertilizer that has the most
nitrogen per dollar.

Nitrogen is the first number of the three numbers. It's the percentage
of nitrogen in the total weight the the fertilizer. Thus, a 20-10-10
fertilizer is 20% nitrogen. A 20 lbb sack of 20-10-10 contains 4 lbb of
nitrogen. (The second number is the percentage of phosphorus; the third
is the percentage of potassium.)

I take the weight of the bag and multiply by the percentage of nitrogen
and divide by the price. Whichever lawn food gives the highest result,
I buy. Generally, it's the house brand of the store where I'm shopping.

I buy the lawn food WITHOUT weed killer. Thus, I can also use it on my
shrubs and in my flower beds.

For a special jolt (e.g., for roses and trees), I also use ammonium
sulfate, which is about 50% nitrogen. This is too strong to use on
lawns. It's also not suitable for acidic soils because it will make
them even more acidic. (My soil is quite alkaline and needs
acidifiers.) It has no phosphorus or potassium, but those are not
significantly deficient in my soil.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

this one is new
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Academia" contains these words:

I was wondering if there is more than one kind of fertilizer chemical.

Time for a new nickname.

Janet

Old 09-10-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

If you use fertilizer containing weed killer they want you to put it on
wet grass and do not wash it off the grass.
But if you use fertilizer without weed killer they want it washed off of
the grass. Why? Is this fertilizer different chemically?

No. The week killer in question attacks weeds through the leaves so if
you wash it off it does no good (which is harm to the weeds). The
fertilizer fertilizes through the roots but it is not in any particular
hurry so you can let the weed killer do its thing and then wait until
the fertilizer gets washed into the ground to do its thing.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html
Old 09-10-2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Why do I have to wash off the non-weed killer fertilizer if it is the same
as the weed killer fertilizer that is allowed to stay on wet leaves.

Forget about the weed killer. It's the fertilizer that I'm wondering about.

No one answered the question I asked except you. You say they are the same.
If they are it seems to me that no harm will come if I don't wash it off.

Thanks

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
If you use fertilizer containing weed killer they want you to put it on
wet grass and do not wash it off the grass.
But if you use fertilizer without weed killer they want it washed off of
the grass. Why? Is this fertilizer different chemically?

No. The week killer in question attacks weeds through the leaves so if
you wash it off it does no good (which is harm to the weeds). The
fertilizer fertilizes through the roots but it is not in any particular
hurry so you can let the weed killer do its thing and then wait until
the fertilizer gets washed into the ground to do its thing.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html
http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

[IMG] code is On

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Spray oil in July Ok? kill aphids then wash off with hose lbbs Edible Gardening 3 05-07-2003 03:20 PM
Spray oil in July Ok? kill aphids then wash off with hose lbbs Gardening 3 05-07-2003 03:20 PM
Tar Wash! Terry Lynton United Kingdom 1 17-01-2003 05:45 PM
Snowblower for wash dc area allan Lawns 3 11-12-2002 09:37 PM