Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raised Bed Gardens, Opinions + Tips?

Just wondering what you all think of raised beds for vegetable gardens
as opposed to ground level gardens.

It's a good time of year to get all that planned out and in place so
looking for input.

My thought is that the raised beds will be easier to maintain and to
work in. My thought on that is more for the wifes sake since she has
back trouble that acts up from time to time.

I was thinking of just using treated 2x8s or so, standard toe nailed
framing with braces in the corners. Also thinking of stapling plastic
sheeting along the inside just to minimize the dirt to wood contact factor.

So, any thoughts on this, tips or tricks, etc?

Also make life easier where soil prep is concerned, no? That way I can
just dump in bags of good soil and compost as apposed to working with
the brick solid clay around here.