Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Joe Pye Weed on Culvert Side?

Yet more research for the coming season and yard improvements.

I'm trying to decide just what I can plant on the side of the drainage
culverts that run along the side and back of my property. The wonders of
living on the skits of a subdivision development.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe removing some of the rubble rock and
planting Joe Pye weed planted every so often along the ditch, which is
6' deep and 6' wide with about a 45 degree pitch.

Currently there is a crappy looking grass that grows in the area, along
with some other weedy flowers and the only good thing, some morning glory.

Area gets full sun and is fair moisture wise during normal season weather.

So you think it would do well there and be able to choke out some of the
grass and other junk? Or do you think I should look in other directions.

Zone 6b Kentucky, 12" or less of decent soil before solid clay...
Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 23:11:00 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:

[...]

I've used Rosemary as a ground cover, it works best with a lot of
neglect. I'd chose one of the low growing kind.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/6/07 12:11 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

[...]

I'd add a little variety. I have "iron weed" ( a taller Joe Pye), Queen of
the Prairie and Golden Glow mixed together. The three do a fair job of
ground cover and look good mixed.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
LAH LAH is offline

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
[...]

In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to plant some day
lilies, especially the old variety commonly know as ditch lilies. As the
name implies, they are hardy and seem to love that kind of environment.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

LAH wrote:
[...]

On this note, the guy I get my lilies from said I could have all the
kwanzaas that I want. Guessing it's the same thing, tall field lily type
with a double or triple bloom pattern.

He considers them worthless and has thousands bordering the property..
Maybe I'll raid his supply.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/6/07 12:11 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

[...]

That sounds like a nice idea.. LAH had said about using day lilies which
I may do in some lighter problem areas, but some of the culvert (at
corners and joints) is rubble rock from top to bottom.. Wanted something
a bit more beefy there which is why I'm looking at Joe Pye.

Not sure where to pick up some many varieties, Lowes had one kind before
end of season which I failed to jot down the name of. Any suggestions?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Something like this?

http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.co...inus_Pros.html

Seems like a good option if it's all that thick and should smoother the
tall grasses that are currently cropping up.

I've also got two things of Russian Sage in pots that I'm trying to
figure out what the heck to do with. Hmmm.. Keeping those closer to the
house..
Old 06-11-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/6/07 9:18 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/6/07 12:11 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

[...]

Talk to me in the spring and we'll figure out what I got that works for you!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Whoops.. Never mind on the Rosemary.. Don't see any that are 6B hardy.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/6/07 9:18 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/6/07 12:11 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

[...]

Thanks alot Cheryl.. Really appreciate it..

Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/6/07 10:21 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/6/07 9:18 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/6/07 12:11 AM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

[...]

Given the time of year, you might find some ornamental grasses CHEAP. Those,
as long as they aren't runners, stay contained and discourage weedy grasses.
And look nice into the winter.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Yet more research for the coming season and yard improvements.

I'm trying to decide just what I can plant on the side of the drainage
culverts that run along the side and back of my property. The wonders of
living on the skits of a subdivision development.

Anyway, I was thinking maybe removing some of the rubble rock and
planting Joe Pye weed planted every so often along the ditch, which is
6' deep and 6' wide with about a 45 degree pitch.

Currently there is a crappy looking grass that grows in the area, along
with some other weedy flowers and the only good thing, some morning glory.

Area gets full sun and is fair moisture wise during normal season weather.

So you think it would do well there and be able to choke out some of the
grass and other junk? Or do you think I should look in other directions.

I think you need to wait for at least one full seasonal cycle in order
to ascertain how much water flows in that ditch during wet spells...
those rocks and that tough crappy grass/weeds can well be what keeps
you from having a huge erosion disaster... I wouldn't go digging in
that ditch until you see what's what, doesn't take but a small shovel
full to seed a full blown erosion.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

I've already seen what it takes and I'm not thinking of removing the
rocks..

Unlike those who want to flatten the land I'm fine with it where it is,
but by golly it will look better than it does right now.

Anyway, at the most it sees 1/3rd capacity.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pictures of Culvert Sides

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

Just in case anyone is bored and wants to see the weedy mess which I'm
talking about, here's a couple of pics.

http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/landscape-woes/

There's only 2 things I want to rescue out of here.. There's a small
evergreen ground cover that someone put in which is being choked out,
and an annual flowering vine whos name escapes me at this very moment..

I'll be collecting the seeds from the vine soon so I can put them along
the new fence by the drive.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/7/07 1:19 PM, in article ,
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
[...]

A really low grower?

and an annual flowering vine whos name escapes me at this very moment..

I'll be collecting the seeds from the vine soon so I can put them along
the new fence by the drive.

Have fun!

I understand why you want to "improve it"