Old 14-11-2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mystery Plant

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
border this year but Ive been unable to find out it's name or
preferred growing conditions etc.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...=21&Itemi d=1

Thanks in advance.

Old 14-11-2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 14, 8:51 am, green_light wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
border this year but Ive been unable to find out it's name or
preferred growing conditions etc.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...

Thanks in advance.

Looks like some kind of Jimson/Brugmansia variant. Don't carve that
in stone, just my unedumicated opinion!!!!
Nan

Old 14-11-2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 14, 10:20 am, Nanzi wrote:
On Nov 14, 8:51 am, green_light wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what this plant could be? It self seeded in my
border this year but Ive been unable to find out it's name or
preferred growing conditions etc.

http://www.cobwebcottage.com/index.p...nt&task=view&i...

Thanks in advance.

Looks like some kind of Jimson/Brugmansia variant. Don't carve that
in stone, just my unedumicated opinion!!!!
Nan

Reminds me of a Datura.
Biff

Old 15-11-2007, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks - Im pretty sure its not Brugmansia / Datura though. The photo
may be misleading I think. The flowers are much smaller; 3cm . The
foliage does look pretty similar though.

Its probably also worth noting that Im in the north of the UK, and
Datura would probably need some nursing here - its unlikely to self
seed.

However that sounds a bit negative - thanks for the suggestions. They
are appreciated.

Old 15-11-2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

uk.rec.gardening got it -

"The Shoo-fly Plant (Nicandra physaloides), also known as the Apple
of
Peru, is an annual plant native to Peru. It is the only species in
the
genus Nicandra. They are known for their property of repelling
insects.

Plants grow to 1 metre tall and are vigorous with spreading branches
and ovate, mid-green, toothed and waved leaves. The flowers are bell-
shaped and 5 cm or more across, they are pale violet with white
throats, and are produced from July to September.the flower will
become lantern like towards the end of its time, it is a hardy annual
that means it will last one season from seed to seed"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicandra_physaloides

Must have been distributed by birds.