Old 19-11-2007, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Save a newbie from the insects!

Hi Guys,

OK, let's start of by telling you what I (think I) know about gardens:
1. They need water
2. I like 'em colourful...
3. ...but colourful doesn't work for the lawn.

Now that you know to use small words when explaining, I a problem that
has stumped me.

I have a coconut palm that has never seemed very happy. For years now,
everything around it has grown well, while this five-foot tree seemed to
be drying out.

Then, a few days ago, I discovered (ahem, my five-year old discovered)
that the mother of all ant colonies where living in the tree, with a
zillion or more eggs in the folds left by the old leaves (the ones
around the base).

Convinced that this was my problem, I proceeded to remove those leaves
as carefully as I could and killed the ants once they were off the tree.
Then, following the advice of family who claims to have green fingers, I
rinsed the tree with a water/washing powder mix.

There are certainly fewer ants now, but looking at the tree closely two
days later, it was clear that it hasn't quite worked. A significant
portion of the colony has survived, and they have simply moved their
eggs to the leaves that are higher up.

Short of ripping off every last leave and spraying the tree with
insecticide (lethal to the tree?), how do I fix this? I'd like to keep
the tree alive, but those tiny buggers must go.

Any ideas,

Regards,

Cobus
Old 19-11-2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cobus Kruger" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know otherwise, but how do you know the ants are harming the tree?

Old 20-11-2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

The ants are a non issue to the tree and probably more of a benefit than
anything else. With the coconut palm the trouble may be more where you
are trying to grow it. Not sure of elsewhere in the country but in
Florida I don't think I have seen them happily grow much further North
than Port Charlotte for example.

I think there is actually a town called Florida in South Africa but I
don't live anywhere near it :-) I have a couple of other palms in the
yard and they all do just fine - the one is probably almost three
stories high! Also, there is a healthy-looking fan palm about three
metres (yards) closer to the house.

I suspected the dreary look may have been caused by the insects because:
1. They seemed to be the only variable from the successful palms in the
yard.
2. They live on plant material (or don't they?)
3. I don't particularly like ants, so they seem to be a good scapegoat :-)

Are there any other good reasons why the tree would suffer? Perhaps it
is just in need of some fertilizer?
Old 26-11-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Yes -- palms have some pretty specific fertilizer requirements, especially
for potassium and minor elements (magnesium, manganese, boron). See
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG043 for overall information. Here in Florida
(USA) ants nests in palm trees are a common nuisance and not responsible for
tree health problems. "Lethal Yellowing" disease is the usual problem with
coconut palms here.

Not all palms do well in the same climate. If your climate is such that it
could approach 0 degrees C anytime in the winter, it's probably too cold for
a coconut palm, but possibly not for other varieties.

[IMG] code is On

Camera Could Help Sort Fish, Save Stocks BenignVanilla Ponds 0 12-02-2004 11:26 PM
Camera Could Help Sort Fish, Save Stocks BenignVanilla Ponds 0 12-02-2004 09:00 PM
Save Auchincruive and Craibston - Managerial Incompetence and Betrayal Dave Chalton sci.agriculture 0 14-03-2003 05:32 PM
Can I save this paph? ceng Orchids 3 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Save Mallorquin's trees Damaso Ybañez Beltran alt.forestry 0 02-11-2002 07:55 PM