Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-12-2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden bully

I am growing potatos in tyres and they are thriving. One stack is 5 tryes
high and still going. I started running out of soil to throw in the tyres so
last weekend I went round to a mates compost bin to dig some compost out.
Its typical back yard compost, a large mound of material slowly rotting down
with a humus of material on top, better stuff further down and a covering of
weeds.

I scraped back the weeds and turfed the top humus to one side before
extracting several sacks worth of the better stuff. I took it home and have
started shoving it in my tyres.

Anyhow, on the sunday night my friend called asking if I had a pumpkin plant
in my sacks. His lad had come home from a weekend with his mum & rushed up
the garden to see how the pumpkin plant he had growing in the compost pile
was doing. It was a giant pumpkin he was going to enter a competition with.
He came back down the garden in tears, some how the pumpkin plant had
'dissappeared'.

During my dig I had assumed the pumpkin plant was another weed and likely
turfed it to one side. The lad was distraught and I felt sorry for him, but
at the same time I did have to laugh.

rob