GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question on Tobacco Tea (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/170175-question-tobacco-tea.html)

McGerm 07-01-2008 02:24 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim

JoeSpareBedroom 07-01-2008 04:01 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"McGerm" wrote in message
I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim

Question: What bug problems are you trying to deal with? In other words, I
assume you have sat in the garden with bug identification books, and
specifically identified all the different bugs you see. Please tell me which
"bad" bugs you're trying to get rid of.

I'm asking because it never makes sense to create extra work for yourself if
there's no reason to do so. And, the tea you're thinking of making could
also kill beneficial insects.

I will eagerly await your complete list of bugs you've identified.

McGerm 07-01-2008 04:53 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener series... It
was presented as something you just do as regular maintenance; as a
Best Practice in landscape care. His premise appears to be that
stopping diseases and insect problems before they start by using safe
non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a
problem appears.

JoeSpareBedroom 07-01-2008 04:58 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"McGerm" wrote in message
The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener series... It
was presented as something you just do as regular maintenance; as a
Best Practice in landscape care. His premise appears to be that
stopping diseases and insect problems before they start by using safe
non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a
problem appears.

I don't care who presented it. Did he say the tobacco tea would only kill
the problem bugs? Do you realize that you need bugs to pollinate some of
your vegetables?

Val 07-01-2008 05:13 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"McGerm" wrote in message
I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim

Sounds like you got hold of some Jerry Baker schlock. Our PBS stations
stopped carrying his programs years ago as well as his Sunday radio
programs. More than a few organic gardening groups suggested he be strung up
by the thumbs. The NW Flower and Garden show hasn't had him for a speaker in
years because of the flack they got from "real" garden educators and the
Master Gardeners Association about his misinformation and use of the
unearned title "Master Gardener". I was riveted in the doorway (early 90s as
I recall) when passing by one his seminars (everyone loves a good train
wreck) when a gentleman stood and introduced himself as a professor and head
of the U of W Horticultural Dept and went into a "what the hell are you
thinking" demanding for a basis of his unfounded and potentially harmful
formulas. Ol' Jerry was red in the face and sputtering when he just walked
off the stage without replying......so ended a very short seminar. Never saw
him again on the roster of speakers.

Here's an article you might find interesting. Rather enlightening about his
qualifications and expertise.
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Whats/jbaker.htm

Val

JoeSpareBedroom 07-01-2008 05:19 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"Val" wrote in message

"McGerm" wrote in message
[...]

Interesting! Thanks.

To the OP: Go to www.powells.com and find a used copy of "Crockett's
Victory Garden", by James Underwood Crockett. Do everything he does.....

***********EXCEPT**********

......that you should ignore all his advice about the endless use of sprays &
powders. He went way overboard. Maybe that's what killed him. Ignore all of
it until you've managed to locate your public library and brought home some
books (made of paper).

enigma 07-01-2008 06:17 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

McGerm wrote in

oups.com:

The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener
series... It was presented as something you just do as
regular maintenance; as a Best Practice in landscape care.
His premise appears to be that stopping diseases and insect
problems before they start by using safe non-toxic
preventative care, is better than reactively treating once
a problem appears.

Jerry Baker is a garden quack. if you really like your yard &
garden, please do not follow his silly formulas & poor advice.
lee

Val 07-01-2008 06:38 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"McGerm" wrote in message

non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a
problem appears.

If it were prudent to be treating *everything* bad before it appears
wouldn't that liken to everyone with a stray dog, skunk, squirrel wandering
within 5 miles go in for 10 days of Rabies treatment just because? And what
is "non-toxic" about tobacco and antiseptic mouth wash? What you spray up
will drip down, never mind that you are killing everything good, bad or
otherwise for no rational reason....what do you think this stuff will do to
earthworms when it leaches into the soil?

Val

JoeSpareBedroom 07-01-2008 06:47 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"Val" wrote in message

"McGerm" wrote in message

non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a
problem appears.

If it were prudent to be treating *everything* bad before it appears
wouldn't that liken to everyone with a stray dog, skunk, squirrel
wandering within 5 miles go in for 10 days of Rabies treatment just
because? And what is "non-toxic" about tobacco and antiseptic mouth wash?
What you spray up will drip down, never mind that you are killing
everything good, bad or otherwise for no rational reason....what do you
think this stuff will do to earthworms when it leaches into the soil?

Val

Observation: In biology class, 1970, we saw a movie in which a drop of pure
nicotine was placed on the pink inside of a rabbit's ear. It died quickly.

JoeSpareBedroom 07-01-2008 09:27 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message

from McGerm contains these words:

I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus?

Well I know that commercial tomato growers here, don't permit
employees smoking in the glasshouses for that reason.
BTW, nicotine insecticides were banned here (UK ) years ago, because
they are a health hazard to people by skin contact. (and, to all
insects, including beneficial).

UNless you have an uncontrollable outbreak of pests, there's no
point applying "clean up" stuff.. Far better, to feed the soil (home
made compost, humus, mulches), so plants grow strong and healthy.

Encourage natural predators ( frogs birds and insects etc ) in the
garden and they will do all the necessary pest control.

Janet

Yeah...you talk about these natural predators like they're all sweet little
creatures, but this ******* attacked me back in September. Went right for my
throat, but I frightened it off with a blade of grass.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er/Toad_01.jpg

JoeSpareBedroom 07-01-2008 11:49 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 1/7/08 4:27 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

That's Julius. He's also the local union manager. Mr. Tough Guy. He thinks
he's Tony Soprano.

David Hare-Scott 08-01-2008 01:30 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"McGerm" wrote in message
I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim

Tobacco extract is very poisonous. It will kill a great many insects and
other small organisms and you and your pets if you get enough into you.
Smokers survive (in the short term anyway) because most of the nicotine and
related chemicals are destroyed when the tobacco burns. Eat a few cigarettes
and go to hospital.

Plus antiseptic mouth wash! Just in case some microorganisms survive the
nicotine.

Your garden relies upon small living organisms don't sterilize it with such a
brew.

David

mleblanca 08-01-2008 02:02 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

On Jan 7, 10:17 am, enigma wrote:
McGerm wrote
oups.com:

The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener
series... It was presented as something you just do as
regular maintenance; as a Best Practice in landscape care.
His premise appears to be that stopping diseases and insect
problems before they start by using safe non-toxic
preventative care, is better than reactively treating once
a problem appears.

Jerry Baker is a garden quack. if you really like your yard &
garden, please do not follow his silly formulas & poor advice.
lee

A big round of applause for wreck gardens! Do we have the best
advice givers here or what? All of you/us are great.
I think poor ol Jerry will never fade away, and we are doomed to
be hearing his mal-advised-advice for years...............

Maybe we all should visit our libraries and find out if there are
copies of this available and request that they be withdrawn,
destroyed, or "lost" Our little Wreck Gardens Project for 2008

Emilie
NorCal

Val 08-01-2008 04:58 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"mleblanca" wrote in message

Maybe we all should visit our libraries and find out if there are
copies of this available and request that they be withdrawn,
destroyed, or "lost" Our little Wreck Gardens Project for 2008

Emilie
NorCal

Yer not s'posed to destroy books because you disagree about or not approve
of what's in them. Can you say "First Amendment"? You might as well also
forget about trying to legislate stupidity. Usenet would be among the first
to vanish.

Val

JoeSpareBedroom 08-01-2008 05:02 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"Val" wrote in message

"mleblanca" wrote in message

Maybe we all should visit our libraries and find out if there are
copies of this available and request that they be withdrawn,
destroyed, or "lost" Our little Wreck Gardens Project for 2008

Emilie
NorCal

Yer not s'posed to destroy books because you disagree about or not approve
of what's in them. Can you say "First Amendment"? You might as well also
forget about trying to legislate stupidity. Usenet would be among the
first to vanish.

Val

What if a book in the library said it sex with minors was a swell idea?

FarmI 08-01-2008 05:58 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"McGerm" wrote in message
The video was part of a Jerry Baker's Master Gardener series... It
was presented as something you just do as regular maintenance; as a
Best Practice in landscape care. His premise appears to be that
stopping diseases and insect problems before they start by using safe
non-toxic preventative care, is better than reactively treating once a
problem appears.

Eeeew. This person sounds like they belong to the "Nuke it till it Glows"
Brigade.

If you start on this journey, you will always have to do it all the time as
you will kill all the good insects in your garden and if you stop the
nasties arrive and may do a lot of damage before the natural predators can
build up their numbers to counteract them. If you garden organically, you
might occasionally have problems but the goodies and the baddies generally
balance each other out (and it's less work).

Val 08-01-2008 06:33 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Val" wrote in message

"mleblanca" wrote in message

Maybe we all should visit our libraries and find out if there are
copies of this available and request that they be withdrawn,
destroyed, or "lost" Our little Wreck Gardens Project for 2008

Emilie
NorCal

Yer not s'posed to destroy books because you disagree about or not
approve of what's in them. Can you say "First Amendment"? You might as
well also forget about trying to legislate stupidity. Usenet would be
among the first to vanish.

Val

What if a book in the library said it sex with minors was a swell idea?

Now you're getting into that morality/obscenity/pornography thing that has
been bandied and battled for decades through pretty much every level of
decision making from the local Altar Guild to the US Supreme Court. Jerry
Baker's schlock hardly falls into that category and that reference WAS
directed towards Baker's books. The debate over what constitutes
inappropriate material and whether (and how) the public should be protected
from it will not likely be settled any time soon.The first ten amendments of
the Bill of Rights were ratified in 1791, each amendment has ratified
detailed annotations added through the years. You will find that there are
many added details regarding children(minors) dealing with obscenity, child
pornography and non-obscene but sexually explicit and indecent expression.
If you want to look up the 1st Amendment's annotations they will answer that
particular question for you.

I shall refrain from correcting the grammar in your convolutedly structured
question or telling you to "haul your sorry ass to the library and find that
answer yourself" 'cause yew iz Joe SpareBedroom and you were most likely
wickedly chuckling while you pounded that out on your keyboard with a "lesse
how she's gonna answer this"! LMAO ~snort~

Val

George.com 08-01-2008 10:36 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"McGerm" wrote in message
I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. Will this
treatment spread the virus? According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim

best advice I can give with those ingredients is this, in the following
order:

Enjoy the tobacco in some paper with a filter whilst drinking a cup of tea
in the morning. Wash the cup in the lemon scented dish washing liquid & set
aside to drain. Gargle with mouthwash before you kiss your wife good bye in
the morning. Sounds like a far better use for the 'clean up tonic' to me.

rob

JoeSpareBedroom 08-01-2008 03:41 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"Val" wrote in message

"mleblanca" wrote in message

[...]

Some libraries still have gardening & home maintenance books which suggest
doing things with chemicals that are illegal to use in this country. I
wonder if they could be edging into the obscenity zone.

Val 08-01-2008 06:14 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Some libraries still have gardening & home maintenance books which suggest
doing things with chemicals that are illegal to use in this country. I
wonder if they could be edging into the obscenity zone.

You and the Altar Guild will have to take that up with the Supreme Court ;)

Val

JoeSpareBedroom 08-01-2008 06:22 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"Val" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Some libraries still have gardening & home maintenance books which
suggest doing things with chemicals that are illegal to use in this
country. I wonder if they could be edging into the obscenity zone.

You and the Altar Guild will have to take that up with the Supreme Court
;)

Val

I'll put that on my list of stuff to do, right after painting my bedroom and
installing new window treatments. :)

Tad 08-01-2008 08:55 PM

Question on Tobacco Tea

On Jan 7, 6:24*am, McGerm wrote:
I have been catching up on my garden reading here in Zone 6. *One of
the things I picked up at the library was a DVD on tree and shrub
care. *Among the things it said to do was to use a 'clean-up tonic'
once every two weeks to discourage insects and diseases. *The DVD made
it sound like a very good thing to do.

Clean-Up Tonic
1 Cup lemon-scented liquid dish soap
1 Cup of antiseptic mouthwash
1 Cup of chewing tobacco tea

The tobacco concerns me, specifically tobacco mosaic virus. *Will this
treatment spread the virus? *According to sources online TMV infects
and kills tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/ cubits, annual flowers, orchids,
and hundreds of other ornamentals.

Jim

You would be much better off adding beneficial microbes to your leaf
surface through AACT or Actively Aerated Compost Tea, than killing
everything with your recipe. Plants put out exudates (simple sugars,
carbohydrates, etc.) through their roots and also on the surface of
the leaves. In a healthy plant, these resources are taken in by
beneficial bacteria, fungi, and protozoa, which then occupy the
infection sites on the leaf and OUTCOMPETE the pathogens for that
space. It's a symbiotic relationship that's constantly occurring at a
microscopic level.

Here's a good starting point for learning mo
http://www.soilfoodweb.com/03_about_us/approach.html

mleblanca 09-01-2008 02:12 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

On Jan 7, 8:58 pm, "Val" wrote:
"mleblanca" wrote in message

Maybe we all should visit our libraries and find out if there are
copies of this available and request that they be withdrawn,
destroyed, or "lost" Our little Wreck Gardens Project for 2008

Emilie
NorCal

Yer not s'posed to destroy books because you disagree about or not approve
of what's in them. Can you say "First Amendment"? You might as well also
forget about trying to legislate stupidity. Usenet would be among the first
to vanish.

Val

Oh, now, Val, I have this vision, you see......................
Our Wreck gardens crew (Joe, Lee, Cheryl, Victoria, me and Janet
you can come too- and any other volunteers)
Dressed in black coveralls and floppy garden hats, we will storm our
individual
libraries, locate and smash any JB propaganda with our various garden
tools.

Come and join us
Emilie aka Carrie Nation who was in the llibrary this
evening...................

Val 09-01-2008 02:36 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

"mleblanca" wrote in message
news:e1391290-3bd7-48ec-a710- Oh, now, Val, I have this vision, you
see......................
Our Wreck gardens crew (Joe, Lee, Cheryl, Victoria, me and Janet
you can come too- and any other volunteers)
Dressed in black coveralls and floppy garden hats, we will storm our
individual
libraries, locate and smash any JB propaganda with our various garden
tools.

Come and join us
Emilie aka Carrie Nation who was in the llibrary this
evening...................

Tell you what......I'll just sit by the phone with my change jar at the
ready in case you need to make a "bail call".

Val

Cheryl Isaak 09-01-2008 11:16 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

On 1/8/08 9:12 PM, in article
,
"mleblanca" wrote:

On Jan 7, 8:58 pm, "Val" wrote:
"mleblanca" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, I dropped a word with the library staff years ago about Jerry B
and he's mostly gone..and lots of organic books arrived. The local master
gardeners did the same.

Cheryl Isaak 09-01-2008 11:16 AM

Question on Tobacco Tea

On 1/8/08 9:36 PM, in article ,
"Val" wrote:

"mleblanca" wrote in message
news:e1391290-3bd7-48ec-a710- Oh, now, Val, I have this vision, you
see......................
Our Wreck gardens crew (Joe, Lee, Cheryl, Victoria, me and Janet
you can come too- and any other volunteers)
Dressed in black coveralls and floppy garden hats, we will storm our
individual
libraries, locate and smash any JB propaganda with our various garden
tools.

Come and join us
Emilie aka Carrie Nation who was in the llibrary this

Tell you what......I'll just sit by the phone with my change jar at the
ready in case you need to make a "bail call".

Val

Giggle, snort - SPEW!