GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Substitute plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/17089-substitute-plants.html)

Suja 21-04-2003 05:08 PM

Substitute plants

Munchkins was out of the plants that I had originally ordered for a
shady bed in my garden. Gene offered to replace my Dicentra 'Snowdrift'
with Dicentra 'Aurora' and Cimicifuga racemosa with Cimicifuga
americana. After doing a little bit of research, I decided that the
differences were not substantial enough for me to get too worried about.
Those of you who may have grown these plants, how do you think the
substitutes compare with the original plants? I do know that
C.americana is shorter than C.racemosa, but exactly how much shorter is
it? If it is over 3' tall, no problem. Shorter, and I'll rearrange my
planting scheme a bit.

Suja